Problem Shrinking my 1TB HDD Win10

cevideca

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Hi. i have a Hp Envy 17 with a 1TB HDD, i bought it used with Win 10 home updated, and now im trying to shrink the partition were win10 is installed and i've trying. here goes a screenshot.

b6369f3bad.png

Like you see i have 81% free space. almost 730Gb free and it says that i can shrink my space just 88GB but i want to divide it in 2 like "300/700" one for information and games and the other for SO and other microsoft software... so i started looking on forums and i found that it could be an unmovable file and that took me to the event viewerand found something like this.
A volume shrink analysis was initiated on volume Windows (C:). This event log entry details information about the last unmovable file that could limit the maximum number of reclaimable bytes.

Diagnostic details:
- The last unmovable file appears to be: \System Volume Information\{623f739d-190b-11e6-a2fe-5cb901ad8e54}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}::$DATA
- The last cluster of the file is: 0xcc33a07
- Shrink potential target (LCN address): 0x2b8a297
- The NTFS file flags are: ---AD
- Shrink phase: <analysis>

To find more details about this file please use the "fsutil volume querycluster \\?\Volume{caa5a8e0-d1be-443c-996d-1fea284e459c} 0xcc33a07" command.

Also sometimes when i try to shrink C: it makes me 2 logs the one from above and this one

The storage optimizer successfully completed shrink estimation on Windows (C:)

then i checked that command and this is what it appeared

b63683b0ce.png

and i dunno what else to do. if u can help me it would be awesome

Plus if you can explain me why i have so many partitions without anything using them.

Solution

Warranty has nothing to do with an OS install.

You bought this used. You have zero idea what the previous owner had in there.
The stuff I've seen inside used PC's would make your short and curlies fall off.

Stuff as in "Call the police. Now."

cevideca

Commendable
May 29, 2016

And how do you do that?

cevideca

Commendable
May 29, 2016

i tried the drefrag but it's like 0% fragmented, i didnt want to do a fresh install of the OS 'cause the warranty had 1 month left to go.

USAFRet

Titan

Warranty has nothing to do with an OS install.

You bought this used. You have zero idea what the previous owner had in there.
The stuff I've seen inside used PC's would make your short and curlies fall off.

Stuff as in "Call the police. Now."

Solution

Download Easeus Partition Master (free version) and see if it won't do the job. It's much more capable than the one built into Windows. It's always worked for me. I'm sure there's something in the middle of that free space that's causing fragmentation which the Windows program can't handle. The Easeus program will move things around as needed usually. It may be slow if it has to do that, but it's always worked for me.

Good luck.

cevideca

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Did not work i also try using the different tools Easeus have but nothing really worked :/