PC liquid cooling what to do if there's ever a leak?

jayjay5396

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
hi i've got a corsair H75 hydro in my pc everything is absolutely fine right now but wondering what would happen if it ever leaked? what should i do if it ever happens?

i have no idea i cant find much information on this subject apart from the liquid used is non-conductive, not that i would do this its just an example but does this mean i could squirt that coolant all over my pc and my pc would still work fine? im not convinced that its "non-conductive" so what would happen if i had a leak is that my pc destroyed or what? what would be the best thing to do?

id rather know now than have to search for an answer when it happens.

Sue manufacturer to replace any damaged computer components !!!
Check warranty to see if anything is mentioned about that. I know of only one case of leak and Cooler master replaced (or payed for) MB that was ruined.
My first reflex would be to pull power plug out and let everything drip and dry for a day or two but not disassemble anything and take some good pictures.

SoNic67

Distinguished
The water inside might be "non-conductive" because is pure water, but when it hits the dirty motherboard it will become conductive with all that dust. So yes, it will damage MoBo, possible the CPU, memories...
If in warranty you can try to get the money from manufacturer of cooler, but usually there are clauses in warranty that limits their liability to just a new cooler. Read it. After warranty you are on your own.
As for the "sue" part, lol, I can tell that some are kids that never had to deal with a lawyer that charges $400 an hour.

Water cooling is not worth the risk IMO.

InvalidError

Titan

I'm thinking the same thing: adding the complexity of a liquid reservoir/radiator, liquid pump, hoses, etc. only to gain 3-5C over a cheaper high-end HSF that will still provide thermal mass and somewhat effective passive cooling if its fan(s) fail vs none at all if the pump fails and the risk of leakage-induced shorts are more trouble and risk than they are worth in my book.