windows 10 activation troubles

Feb 19, 2016
I've had activated copy of windows 7 for years, upgraded to 10 using the media creation tool. I selected UPGRADE only NOT CLEAN INSTALL. it's been activated ever since then, but now a message has come up on the bottom left saying: "activate windows. go to settings to activate windows."

I've gone into settings, it just gives me the option to re enter the code. That didn't work I tried it. But then again, I DID use the windows 7 one. because I upgraded from that as I've said before. apparently I can't use the "1" key or the "I" key

what the hell do I do???

Solution
If you do want to keep Windows 10, try reaching out to the Windows Support team through Chat. They will be able to help you with this. I recently had my key reset by them because I changed my Mobo and my key was registered to my old mobo.

senseijtitus

Honorable
If you do want to keep Windows 10, try reaching out to the Windows Support team through Chat. They will be able to help you with this. I recently had my key reset by them because I changed my Mobo and my key was registered to my old mobo.

Solution
Feb 19, 2016

OK, I will do just that and see how it turns out.

I'll be back....

UPDATE: I've got the product ID written down correctly but in the first group there is only 5 digits and I need 6 or 7 digits to get past the automated voice saying "please enter your product ID"

USAFRet

Titan

The Windows license key is 5 groups of 5 characters:
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

The Product key is different.

Feb 19, 2016

so what is the product ID? That's what they're asking for, not the product key or the licence key. the just want the product ID.
I don't really understand why your telling me this. Could you give me a bit more explanation?

USAFRet

Titan
This PC
Right click
Select Properties
The 'Product ID' is at the bottom

ru5cweo.jpg

Feb 19, 2016

yes, but the automated voice asks for the first group in said number and apparently that group should be 6 or 7 numbers long. the first group in the code you have shown me (I've wrote it down anyway) is 5 numbers long..

USAFRet

Titan

And this is verified Microsoft?
I've had to call a couple of times to get the license reauthorized and I can't recollect having to enter the Prod ID.

But anyway, that's where the Prod ID is.

USAFRet

Titan

Well...that IS the Prod ID for my Win 10 Pro.
And looking at one of my other systems, Win 10 Home....same construction, different numbers. First group is 5 chars.

Feb 19, 2016

Very odd, I think I'll leave the thread as it is now. Please don't add any other answers to this thread now.