Windows 10 Couldn't Be Installed - Error Code: 80070002-20009

orion923

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
Greetings all,

I recently tried upgrading to Windows 10, however the update failed.

Here's what happened: I downloaded the update, my pc restarted, booted back up and showed the Installing Screen for about a tenth of a second and then restarted again.
Windows updater indicated that Windows 10 could not be installed due to an Error: 80070002-20009

I am running Windows 7 off an SSD which I cloned from an HDD.
I read somewhere that this could possibly be the cause of the problem and that a possible solution is to physically remove all other drives apart from the Boot Drive in order to overcome this problem.

My questions are as follows:

1) Are there any alternatives to this method?
2) If not, are there any possible complications regarding this method?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Solution
error code 80070002 is The system cannot find the file specified.

I would guess your partitions are not assigned correct drive letters to match where the boot loader tells the system the location of your files.

IE i would be looking to see if a reserved partition has been given a drive letter assignment of c:\
rather than your boot partition. This often happens when drives get reassigned when you have two drives with a active boot partition on them.

you can use a the bootrec.exe commands to get the system to boot up.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

if you can boot you can use the disk management to reassign the drive letters on your system.
you can use diskpart.exe to set the active partitions and assign drive...
error code 80070002 is The system cannot find the file specified.

I would guess your partitions are not assigned correct drive letters to match where the boot loader tells the system the location of your files.

IE i would be looking to see if a reserved partition has been given a drive letter assignment of c:\
rather than your boot partition. This often happens when drives get reassigned when you have two drives with a active boot partition on them.

you can use a the bootrec.exe commands to get the system to boot up.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

if you can boot you can use the disk management to reassign the drive letters on your system.
you can use diskpart.exe to set the active partitions and assign drive letters also:
(google diskpart.exe command for examples)

Solution