Should I switch to a displayport connection from dvi?

87morpheus

Reputable
May 21, 2014
This might be a dumb question, but I am having trouble finding a clear answer to this question. I am hearing that people are liking the displayport connection better than dvi. I already have my pc connected to the monitor with dvi (I believe it is dual link, it has a refresh rate of 144hz). Is there an advantage to using displayport over dvi?

Solution
Displayport gets you:

• ■Higher bandwidth
    ■Audio transmitted on the same cable
    ■Ability to daisy chain multiple displays to the same cable
    ■Asynchronous refresh rates (Freesync, G-Sync)
    ■DRM support to satisfy your Hollywood overlords (important for bluray players, not so much for PCs)
There are a bunch of smaller differences, but those are the major ones which concern most PC users. If none of them matter to you and your DVI dual link is able to support your monitor's resolution at full refresh rate, then stick with DVI. They are both digital so will make no difference in picture quality (unless you need to reduce color depth to hit the desired refresh rate).
Displayport gets you:

• ■Higher bandwidth
    ■Audio transmitted on the same cable
    ■Ability to daisy chain multiple displays to the same cable
    ■Asynchronous refresh rates (Freesync, G-Sync)
    ■DRM support to satisfy your Hollywood overlords (important for bluray players, not so much for PCs)
There are a bunch of smaller differences, but those are the major ones which concern most PC users. If none of them matter to you and your DVI dual link is able to support your monitor's resolution at full refresh rate, then stick with DVI. They are both digital so will make no difference in picture quality (unless you need to reduce color depth to hit the desired refresh rate).

Solution

87morpheus

Reputable
May 21, 2014
Thanks for the quick answers. I might have a displayport cable that came with my monitor, I just need to find where I put the box (how do you lose a giant box?). If I can't find it I don't think I'll buy a cable. My monitor doesn't support gsync to my knowledge and the dvi cable supports the highest refresh rate, so what's the point?

albert huang

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
DVI is a video display interface developed by the Digital Display Working Group (DDWG). The digital interface is used to connect a video source, such as a video display controller to a display device, such as a computer monitor. It was developed with the intention of creating an industry standard for the transfer of digital video content.

TRENDING THREADS