My old Sony VAIO laptop doesn't have an OS

Curry_Man

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
i need a decent laptop and i found my older brothers old laptop. An VAIO laptop and it doesn't have an OS. How can i install on? Our external optical drive doesn't work since the laptop doesn't have an os. I am currently trying to install Windows 10

Help please

If you have a working computer, you can use the windows media creation tool to put windows 10 onto a USB drive and use that for installation.
The external optical drive should also work for installing an os. You may need to press a special function key when you turn the laptop on to select which deice to boot from.

Curry_Man

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

The laptop doesn't have an OS to recognize the USB or external drive.

I tried using the internal drive and putting it in there but isn't responding. Should i get it repaired or keep it and wait for more responses?

No OS is needed to recognize USB or an external drive. When you first turn on the laptop, there is probably some sort of message that says "press <some key> for . . ." You need to press that key to select the boot device. If there is no message, try F1, F2, F9, F10, Del, Esc, and Return immediately after turning on your computer. You may need to press the key more than once.
If you still have trouble, write out exactly the messages you see from the time you first turn on the computer.

Curry_Man

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

Here. i posted a video of what happens because im not sure of how to explain it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrxpj9Ev9S4&feature=you...

You need to press the buttons as soon as you turn it on-before it shows the "Operating System not found." Press them repeatedly until something shows up. If you press Esc or Return immediately, it may give a message as to which key to press. Keep powering down and powering up until you figure out which key lets you select a boot device. (my guess is F9)

Curry_Man

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

I got to the bios using the assist key. Look on google a bit and copied the bios. But still doesn't work. should i buy a new hard drive?

You need to use the bios to change the first boot device to either your DVD or the USB drive. I wish I could tell you exactly how, but every bios is a little different. You need to find something like "disk order" or "boot order" or something similar.
Whether you replace your hard drive or not is unrelated to the issue you are currently having. Your computer is trying to boot from your disk, it finds nothing there and gives you a message saying just that. If you put in a new disk, it still won't have anything on it and your computer will give the same error message.

Perhaps these instructions from Sony can be helpful:
http://docs.esupport.sony.com/pc/SVE1413_1513_1713_series/EN/contents/04/16/01/01.html?search

Curry_Man

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Nothing worked. I went through everything and i came to my theoretical conclusion of needing to buy a new HDD.

I forgot to mention that we tried to get this laptop repaired 3-4 years ago. By Best buy. I am thinking they completely whipped it. I asked my brother if they told him extra info and all they said was that there was something wrong with the HDD and hinges

There very well could be something wrong with the hard drive, but that is definitely NOT the issue you are currently experiencing. Your laptop can boot from USB or a DVD with or without a working hard drive. Did you try the instructions I linked? What does your laptop display when you boot by pressing the "assist" button?