Need advice before buying a desktop

BobAuth

Commendable
May 30, 2016
Hi everybody,

I am considering buying a desktop with the following specs:

Model: HP envy 750-055xt
Processor: 4th Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-4790 Processor - 3.6GHz, (up to 4GHz, on Max Turbo)
Ram: 8GB (up to 32GB)
Power supply: 300w
Graphics: integrated (as is for now)

My question is: Would that be a good PC to buy if I wanted to upgrade it in the future to a gaming PC for my son?
And I mean modern games with advances graphics (to me that is for example highest settings for GTA, Fallout, ... other newly released games)

Your help is much appreciated, folks. Thank you.

You would definitely need to upgrade the power supply (PSU) and install a graphics card. Upgrading these OEM machines can be a pain sometimes, but it can be worth it if you get a great sale. I wouldn't pay more than ~$300 for that machine.

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED
can you build one yourself?
it would save you about 25-35% of the prebuilt cost
and as for that system i would get a new psu and 16 gb ram
and oddly that is a very powerful cpu with a crappy gpu
in that system for gaming the cpu is more than needed and the gpu is a LOT less than needed
i would highly recomend building if you can

BobAuth

Commendable
May 30, 2016
It would be great if you guys could point me to the right direction to build one myself.. I tried it but the cost was $330 as I added the first component only (the CPU) and this is when I started looking for prebuilt systems. This one is for $490
I would definitely go with the non-OEM if it's cheaper.

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMfCm8
that and a gpu of your choice much better motherboard and psu than the prebuilt and more faster ram to start with then for a gpu the two choices now are the gtx 960 for ~200$ or a more powerful 970 for ~320$ or if you wait a 1070 for ~375$
this build can handle any of them
so what games are played on this and what resolution

BobAuth

Commendable
May 30, 2016
Looking at the part list you created I have a couple of questions,
1. Do I only need a graphics card with that? Or do I need other parts like for example CPU cooler?
2. Isn't it somehow better to go with the original HP one, as it is the same price with a more powerful cpu?

The games are modern games high settings with resolution 1080.
Honestly I don't know the specific names.

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED

well the plus with this is it allows a better upgrade path as later you can get a 6700k which is more powerful than a 4790 and 64gb ram (for reasons....) and better gpu
and yes the gpu is all you need as far as i know the that cpu comes with a cooler
one other thing with upgrading hps is that sometimes the software causes issues with new hardwere