Am I better to add another access point or upgrade my router?

jackp311

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
I have an Asus RT-N66 router. As the name suggests, it utilizes 802.11n protocol. In addition to a few iPhones, I have a home theater micro PC that will also run 802.11ac.

My router is currently upstairs in a far corner of the house. Am I better to put a new AC router there or add another N router? The placement is mandated by design/floorplan and coax cable locations.

The additional N router would be placed at the diagonal opposite of the house. The first floor other side of the house, if I went that route. It would connect via a powerline adapter to ethernet. Otherwise, I could add an AC router in one of the locations and keep the N, as well.

kanewolf

Titan
You will probably be limited by the powerline segment of your network. Get the latest AV2 MIMO devices. You should get 100Mbit reliably on the powerline segment. I would still get a second Asus -- even another N66 if you like it. Then the user interface will seem familiar.

jackp311

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

Cool - thanks for the tip. So, right now I have...

Cable modem ---> ooma device for VOIP ---> Asus N66 ---> Powerline and Wifi ---> Powerline ends up at PC downstairs

So I would be doing...
Cable modem ---> ooma device for VOIP ---> Asus N66 ---> Powerline and Wifi ---> Powerline ends up at N66 downstairs where PC is hard wired in.

Do you think the $50 premium is worth it for the AC version? Or would the fact that I have an N router in the mix already negate that?

Thanks in advance!