Failed update corrupted laptop

Czbok2016

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
Hi guys, I'm running a Dell i7559-2512BLK laptop. Few weeks ago Microsoft pushed out an update and asked me to update it so naturally I did so. The time I started updating was already around midnight, so I left the charger on, but I CLOSED the lid because I thought the update would be fine just like that.

When I woke up in the morning, I went to check my laptop but unfortunately it was stuck at the same percentage as I left it when I went to bed because apparently closing your lid while updating will stop the update or something. I left it for another 20 minutes or so but it wouldn't progress. So I just forced restart my laptop and did the update again and didn't think anything would go wrong. The second update proceeded ok and was completed, but ever since my laptop has been lagging out here and there, with a huge crash once in a while (sounds stuck on buzzing and entire laptop won't respond until force restart) Keep in mind this is a huge update because it goes into that progress screen with the "We are making windows better" etc text, and not the usual restart and you're all good update.

I think somehow force restarting it while it was stuck corrupted or killed my laptop in someway. I looked around checking if it's my BIOS problems but people say windows updates won't touch your bios so I need some help guys. Should I do a clean reinstall ? Will that fix my problem ? Please help me thanks really desperate. Saved a long time for this laptop ain't got money to get a new one. THANKS !!!

Solution
You can get a disk check utility from the vendor of the hard-drive (open it and see who the maker is or look at the model number in device manager) and run that. If that passes, a clean Windows setup is a good idea, just backup your files first. Usually when updates fail they tend to end up with corrupt files and registry entries.

Czbok2016

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016

I would think so too but my laptop came preloaded with Win 10. It might be a major update doing lots of changes or something. I'm sorry I didn't keep the update logs or number because I thought there were no problems.

Check for a system restore to a date before this update and restore to that time, I'd also boot to the BIOS and see if there is a disk check utility you can run to make sure your hard drive does not have issues.

Czbok2016

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016

I didn't create a restore point before the update and I don't think I can find one that Win 10 created. Checked my bios and negative, no disk check utility ..

You can get a disk check utility from the vendor of the hard-drive (open it and see who the maker is or look at the model number in device manager) and run that. If that passes, a clean Windows setup is a good idea, just backup your files first. Usually when updates fail they tend to end up with corrupt files and registry entries.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS