File Type Association Bugging Out -- PowerPoint 16

Brotuulaan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
My wife's laptop has elected to present quite the conundrum today.

Yesterday, she created a presentation for her classes in Florida, for which we are leaving in a week. When she tried to open it today, it opened up a save dialog instead of opening the file itself. She hit save instead of cancel, and it had set the default save type to 97-2000, so it created a new file of the same presentation. Not directly related, but maybe that will trigger a thought for someone.

I'm not sure what program has assumed control over the file, but the icon is different. It may be Microsoft Open XML Converter, but I'm not sure.

It can still be opened manually by using the "Open With" dialog, but that has its own set of issues that disturb normal user experience.

When I set it to use PP16 every time, it throws out the following error every single time the file is opened:

"Microsoft PowerPoint is not the default program for viewing and editing presentations. Do you want to select files [sic] types that PowerPoint should open?"

Here's the secondary issue: If I go into the default file type associations within Windows 10, .pptx is unchecked as a default for PP16, but if I check it, it resets the default program and goes back to the save dialog when I go to open the file again. Recheck the "Always use this program" box within the "Open With" dialogue and I get the error message after opening the file within PP16.

It chases its tail in a cycle of either not opening the file because it's associated with some other program, or setting PP16 to open it every time and getting the error message that says it's not the default program for PP files.

Stupid. But I'm sure someone on here has some idea that I can try so that we can dispense with the digital drama. If anyone wants screenshots of any particular elements, I can provide them.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!