Dear MODS -- Please Include a STATUS option for users...

Anurag20

Reputable
May 10, 2016
With the time differences spread across the zones, I think a user trying to help should be able to set something like "Going to bed, until tomorrow - Bye!!".. as his status.. instead of having to send umpteen individual private messages.. Also, "Gone for lunch, be back in an hour" would look so cool instead of no reply -- Users having not logged in for extended periods could be marked "Dormant"

I'm sure this li'l feature, in addition to being a big help to users would definitely boost Tomshardware Forums' popularity ..

Thanks!!

PS. Going to bed, pls bear with me to reply.. :)

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
We understand your frustration! Those time zones are always so pesky. We've been thinking of ways to address this issue as well.

Can't promise anything concrete, but we'll definitely keep this in consideration when we get down to updating the forum design!

Anurag20

Reputable
May 10, 2016

Thanks so much, consideration is super atm... :))

sorry, but as a longstanding forum here here and elsewhere.. for what purpose? it is assumed that responses here will not be instant and may take some time and there is already notification for when you get a response which you can toggle. having auto-posted replies would clog up the forum and impede progress and that we do not want. i think people can learn that this is not IRC or chat and that replies can sometimes take a day or two depending on who is online that can answer a question (i'm tired of this new generations instant gratification requirement)

i think we should definitely have post timestamps appear in your native timezone and an online indicator may be a nice touch to show if a user is currently online but other than that i think its extraneous and not needed - more trouble than its worth.

the above would of course be the easy way of doing what you want anyways.. why send a message or show a status for away mode (which is most of the time) when you can simply have an icon for online. most other sites at most just have a small icon showing online or offline at most.

Anurag20

Reputable
May 10, 2016

Hi ssddx...

Thanks so much for the detailed reply... I am an old-timer too in my mid 40s, just that I experienced posters moving on to different fora looking for instant answers... Sometimes it is a fruit-ful exchange when helping ppl and the helpers need to take a break, just thought that just like an "AWAY on VACATION" email feature (which could probably be enabled for someone with 10 or more Best solns.. ??) would help maintain the train of exchange without the hapless users feeling ditched so near a solution..

Anyway just my 2-cents..

Let me unequivocally say what an absolutely cracker of a forum this is, with so many experienced helpers.. The list of SOLVED threads is Humongous to say the least..

Thanks again!!!

Anurag20

Reputable
May 10, 2016

Dear senior mod, lemme first say I am overwhelmed by the consideration shown by the admins here..

That I think is a scenario which renders it practically unimplementable..