System painfully slow; stuck fresh install progress

Trevor Morris

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Hi there - a couple days ago I went to install a new game. When the install began I realized I forgot to change the install path to my SSD I have dedicated for games, and it began installing to my Windows drive instead. Naturally, I cancelled the install process. The screen then hung for a good five-six minutes without doing anything, so I figured it was no big deal and did a hard reset after the computer became totally unresponsive. Upon restarting, the boot process took at least ten minutes. Then I started getting severe input lag straight from the login screen, then once my desktop finally showed up, the whole system was painfully slow - like to the point where I had to wait five minutes for the start menu to pop up after hitting the start button. Also for some reason, my volume and LAN (ethernet) icons in the taskbar had X's over them, so I figured that for some reason their drivers weren't loading. Here is what I have done to try and fix this:

1. Booted in safe mode (still took quite a while but not nearly as long as regular boot) to do system restore. SR completed successfully; no change.

2. Attempted to navigate to "Reset this PC". Once the button was clicked, the dialog box disappeared and after waiting for hours, the PC reset program never initiated.

3. Attempted to boot from my Windows 10 DVD (created a while ago when my roommate's computer needed a fresh install). After pressing a key to boot from the DVD, screen goes black with some strange distorted lines across the screen, and stays that way until a hard reset.

4. Booted up normally and ran setup.exe from the Windows 10 DVD. Setup begins and only gives me the option to "Keep Nothing". Fine. Begin install. Three hours later, installer is stuck at 18%. Some of the graphics that normally show during install such as the animated "..."'s now show up as small blinking squares. I figured the install was going slow, no big deal, left the installer on overnight. Eight hours later, it has not moved, still at 18%. I clicked "cancel" an hour ago and am still waiting for setup to "cleanup" before exiting.

My Windows drive is a Kingston SSD that is a couple years old, but it has literally never given me problems like this before. My roommate's computer had this same issue a while back, and a fresh install fixed his issue. My next step is to attempt to install Windows 8 with my key, then upgrade to WIndows 10 again. If that doesn't work, I figured I'd swap my Windows drive over to my roommate's computer, manually wipe and format it from there, then attempt to install Windows again. The rest of my specs are linked below in case it's relevant. Thanks for your help in advance. :)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/opusposthumous/saved/byPKHx

Solution
May be a problem with the SSD itself. Might want to test the Kingston SSD on another computer and see if it still works.
If you want to reinstall window 10 with your window 8 key, just download the latest window 10 ISO and install your windows 8 key.
May be a problem with the SSD itself. Might want to test the Kingston SSD on another computer and see if it still works.
If you want to reinstall window 10 with your window 8 key, just download the latest window 10 ISO and install your windows 8 key.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
You need to work out how to boot from DVD or USB and make a win 10 installer and fresh install. clearly windows broke itself somehow and best fix is blow it all away and start afresh.

I think the option to boot from DVD/CD are in Advanced bios options.. here is your bios

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu1lZOg6y-Y"][/video]

Trevor Morris

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
I managed to boot from the DVD because I guess during my attempted install W10 at least got wiped out... but I did move the SSD to another computer and checked it out under Disk Management, it doesn't show up at all. Tried connecting with multiple cables and everything. And yes, I'm sure it's done. Not just unformatted. That's what I get for buying a cheap SSD on eBay. Oh well.