Regarding the free Win10 upgrade from Win7, and installing new mobo and cpu.

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
A while back I used the free upgrade promotion to bump up to Win10 from Win7. All was well, but now I'm in a situation where I will be upgrading my mobo and cpu. I've read that the Win10 upgrade will look at this hardware as a new PC, thus prompting me to purchase the license necessary. I do still have the original Win 7 install disk, but I'm concerned if the key associated with the disk will be tied the to upgrade to 10 as well.

Any advice or workarounds would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you used that win 7 key to upgrade current pc to win 10, then it is now a win 10 key and tied to your old motherboard.

If the win 7 you have now is a retail copy, you can move the upgrade to new PC.

Otherwise you need to buy a new licence to match that new motherboard. Buy a retail licence and it can be moved if you ever upgrade again and still use win 10.

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

Certainly an interesting way MS has chosen to handle the situation.
Just to be safe and make sure I understand, this is the CD I currently own: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5213932

Since it is OEM, if I was to use that key again it should be treated as a Windows 10 OEM key. Correct?

Thanks again for the help, this is such a goofy hoop to jump through.

USAFRet

Titan

OEM is OEM. Tied to that original motherboard.
Swap parts, and that is a new system.
If it complains about the license key and deactivates itself, the only recourse is to call MS. They may or may not authorize it.
Completely up to them. There is no magic workaround, other than buying your own OS.

Solution