Windows 8.1 updates failing Lenovo Y410p in prep for Windows 10

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
So I have Windows 8.1 on my Lenovo y410p, this was upgraded from 8 some time ago. Now I have 'reserved' Windows 10 for it and would like to upgrade to match the rest of my systems. It seems a few updates are required for getting the computer ready, but they are not installing. Just an hour plus process to install the updates, wait for them to fail, a reboot, and a long long wait for it to undo ALL the changes. Not whatever failed, but all of them. No clue as to which updates are causing a problem. I'm fairly certain it isn't attempting the Windows 10 upgrade yet.

I am having no luck in locating people with similar issues and all my search results return is how to prevent Windows 10 update nagging and installation.

Aside from trying out each update individually, and hoping they are enough to allow the upgrade, I can't think of a solution.

Installing Windows 10 from scratch is an undesired solution, but I could do that if forced. This is basically the only machine I have that has software I don't want to re-install.

Any thoughts?

Please no discussion on how bad Windows 10 is. I have it running perfectly fine on three other systems. (Only the OEM machine gives me a headache, of course)