Fix security camera problem

missoj

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
Hi I have a wireless security system. I have one camera that is 600 feet away from my home. I ran 300 feet of electrical wire underground and then put an outlet. There is where I plug in my power adapter that connects to my camera via ethernet. Then I ran a 300 ft ethernet cable. Works great 75% of time but on occasion that camera cannot be found on my Alert commander but is usually working flawlessly if I look the camera up on the internet. I'm thinking I may need a range extender but not sure how to do that. Do you think it would help if I plugged an extender into the outlet that I have the power adapter plugged in to? I need a stronger bandwidth and power line signal for this camera. Thank you so much!

A 300 ft Ethernet cable should work, and since you can find the camera online that clearly shows that it's connected. Check with the camera vendor and explain the issue to them, maybe there is an updated version of the program you use that is better at finding the camera.

missoj

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

missoj

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
I have updated the cameras and I wish I could contact the vendor. They do not make the camera anymore and for the first 5 years I had the system they were no help at all. I'm not sure anyone there actually knew how the system worked. There is definitely a problem with the commander which shows the cameras on the monitor. Thank you for taking the time to help me. Very much appreciated. I have my monitor connected to my laptop via HDMI. I am going to go back to VGA and see if anything changes.

missoj

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
Since the camera is on the internet and showing up attached to my router and in my network I don't think this is something that can be fixed with a range extender. What do you think? I'm having intermittent problems with my other cameras freezing up, blinking in and out and not being found. I'm about to pull my hair out. LOL

If you can see it online, it's online and connected to the network, range extender won't do any good since you are already connected. It may just be a hardware issue with the equipment, you said something about the "first 5 years" so that makes them at least 5 years old, they can easily develop issues during that time.

missoj

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
If I plug my network adapter directly to my computer with ethernet instead of to the router and then plug it and the cameras into a power strip they are seen on the commander with no problem. So the cameras seem to be working fine. And the light underneath the cameras is the color which shows they are connected to the internet and the commander but I cannot see them on the commander. I will still get pop ups from movement from the cameras even when commander does not show them. The cameras even seem to go back to working right after that till a power outage or something jacks them up. Thanks again.