Intel Skull Canyon And PowerColor External GPU Dock Power HTC Vive Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
So with something like Surface Pro + thunderbolt 3 + something like this you can have it all - tablet, laptop, and gaming desktop...as you need it. Finally. Now please bring it all down in $$$ and I'll line up to buy the whole bunch.

A question though, does it allow usong that 500W to power the laptop/tablet over USB type-C as well? Seems logical, but if someone can confirm...

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
So with something like Surface Pro + thunderbolt 3 + something like this you can have it all - tablet, laptop, and gaming desktop...as you need it. Finally. Now please bring it all down in $$$ and I'll line up to buy the whole bunch.

A question though, does it allow usong that 500W to power the laptop/tablet over USB type-C as well? Seems logical, but if someone can confirm...

It should, yes. Power Delivery is one of the excellent features of USB Type-C. The dock should theoretically be able to power anything connected to it, up to 100 W. So you're right, instead of bothering with a laptop charging cable, you would simply connect the laptop to the dock with the USB Type-C cable, and because the dock is plugged into the wall, it could feed power to the laptop. Pretty cool.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/usb-31-usb-type-c-refresher,29933.html

However...the 500 W rating on this particular dock makes me wary about Powercolor's plans for PD...

weilin

Distinguished
However...the 500 W rating on this particular dock makes me wary about Powercolor's plans for PD...

I don't think 500w is going to be an issue... ATX specifications limit the power of 2x 8pin PCIe power connectors to 300w (150w per 8 pin connector). That leaves 100w for PC charging and 100w spare for USB drives etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.