realtek audio, no sound, is it my board or a Registry probelm?

greg_ppartr

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
I no longer have sound on my Acer Aspire M5 481PT. I believe I've tried all possible combination of uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, and have also installed all Windows Updates. Under the Sound Video and Game Controllers (in Device Manager), the 'Realtek High Definition Audio' has a yellow exclamation bang next to it, and there are no other items listed (which I think is OK.) I went to the Intel site to update my chipset and installed it,then I updated the Realtek audio drivers and installed them, but no joy. The little speaker icon says "No audio output device is installed." I went through the Windows 10 audio problems Troubleshooter online, still nothing works, and when I opened the laptop and checked the connections to the audio board, they're fine. I ran dxdiag, and it says under Sound, "No sound card was found." It also says "Device cannot start, Error Code 10" and for the "Resources" tab for it, it states:
"This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem" and "The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance." I have to admit, I'm not sure what a "function driver" would do here. For the Realtek drvier, under events, it says:
Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service IntcAzAudAddService for Device Instance ID ROOT\MEDIA\0003 with the following status: 0.
When I checked the Media Registry it says-
Media 4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 Audio and video devices -there weren't any LowerFilters values listed (perhaps that's significant?.) For "(default)" it says "value not set." I'm nervous about fiddling with the Registry but it doesn't look right, and am willing to try anything now.

My laptop has Realtek audio with Windows 10 (Dell Inspiron 5559) that work fine, but I have no idea whether you might have a different model from mine. My Device Manager says I have a 10/29/2015 version 10.0.10586.0 Microsoft driver FWIW. Personally I'm loathe to fool with the registry; I'd rather uninstall the driver and reboot to see if Windows might download & install what's needed. Of course if you've already made changes to the registry or used a registry cleaner, then that could be another factor. A further possibility would be if you've upgraded a computer from Windows 7 or 8.1 where the manufacturer hasn't provided Windows 10 compatible drivers. I don't know if any of these things apply.

If you've enabled System Restore, you could try doing a restore to a point prior to the beginning of the problem.

Good luck.

greg_ppartr

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
Nothing I tried with the updating of drivers and chipsets worked...For "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" in Device Manager, it says:
Realtek High Definition Audio (with that yellow exclamation mark); When I right clicked on it, and get the Properties pop up, it then says for 'Events':
Device ROOT\MEDIA\0002 was deleted.
Class Guid: {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I checked the same properties pop up/'Events' tab for Realtek High Definition Audio after reinstalling the Realtek drivers, and I got:
Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service IntcAzAudAddService for Device Instance ID ROOT\MEDIA\0003 with the following status: 0.

Right-clicking on High Definition Audio Controller (which also has a yellow exclamation mark) , it says that the Device cannot start, Error Code 10; for the "Resources" tab for this item, it says:
"This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem" and it says "The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.."