My desktop wont boot up and stays in an infinite loop

11Jist11

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
My desktop is stuck in a forever booting up loop and I don't know what to do. I've tried seeking help from some of my pc educated friends and i was sent here. I have a Dell Inspiron 660 with an i3 processor. I upgraded it to Windows 10 about a year ago and i didn't have any problems with it until now. I tried ctr-alt-del but it doesn't do anything. I've also accessed the BIOS, but I'm not sure what I need to look at or change. I should also mention that this computer is an older model (2012) so that might be the source of my problems as the hard drive might've just died on me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :D

Solution
how can i resist a doggy bumping a thread...

On another pc, download win 10 installer USB or DVD from here: win 10 media creation tool
change boot order of old pc so USB or DVD firsh, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after language choices, select repair this pc, not install
select troubleshoot
select advanced
select start up repair - this scans pc and tries to fix boot - will ask for logon details

next step if that doesn't work is boot from installer again, select repair again
Slect troubleshoot
select advanced
select start up options
choose one of 3 safe modes
pc reboots into safe mode.
restart pc (yes, you did nothing but this has been known to fix it before)

if neither of these work, I would suggest a reset

now...

Colif

Win 11 Master
how can i resist a doggy bumping a thread...

On another pc, download win 10 installer USB or DVD from here: win 10 media creation tool
change boot order of old pc so USB or DVD firsh, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after language choices, select repair this pc, not install
select troubleshoot
select advanced
select start up repair - this scans pc and tries to fix boot - will ask for logon details

next step if that doesn't work is boot from installer again, select repair again
Slect troubleshoot
select advanced
select start up options
choose one of 3 safe modes
pc reboots into safe mode.
restart pc (yes, you did nothing but this has been known to fix it before)

if neither of these work, I would suggest a reset

now first, if there anything on pc you want to save, either put your hdd in another pc and copy files over or try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
d/c all extra hard drives as a reset will delete their contents if left attached.

now once you saved everything, boot from installer again, select repair pc again,
now select reset on this screen
two options, save files and settings, or wipe it all. If you haven't been able to save anything off pc, I would choose save files. If you backed it all up, its your choice here... it is anyway, I just offer hints :)
Either choice you will lose all your programs
which ever you do, windows will save a few things and then restart pc to reinstall win 10

hopefullt that will fix it. :)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS