Is Win 10 a worthwhile upgrade from Win 7 while running i5-2500k

iPanda

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
Hello TH folks,

I was wondering if the intel i5-2500k will still get support in windows 10 and not take much of a performance hit.

I don't have a link but didn't microsoft say windows 10 would only be optimized for skylake and above?

If I can gain some nice frames per second then I don't see why not upgrading. I just game on this machine with some minor image/video editing (all software shows support for win 10 now).

Just wondering how well or how long I can expect support on my older cpu.

I plan on building a new rig Q4 2016, Q1 2017 but want to see if I should keep this rig Win 7 or try to align it to the new rig (will be Win 10) to keep things more uniform.

Solution
You won't have any difference in performance or a minor increase actually. If you have a dx12 gpu, you'd want it anyways which may prove to have a larger increase. It's not optimizations for skylake, newer gen will not get support for older windows. Like if you try to install 7 on skylake, there is no native usb support. Newer gen may not be able to run 7 at all. This has nothing to do with older gen getting support.
You won't have any difference in performance or a minor increase actually. If you have a dx12 gpu, you'd want it anyways which may prove to have a larger increase. It's not optimizations for skylake, newer gen will not get support for older windows. Like if you try to install 7 on skylake, there is no native usb support. Newer gen may not be able to run 7 at all. This has nothing to do with older gen getting support.

Solution
Check this article.. you need to install CPU-Z to see if your i5-2500k has the necessary instructions to run Windows 10... at least that's what they say but it's not all fact... A computer in the family, a Lenovo All-in-One with Intel Atom D525 that doesn't have all the instructions, auto updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and it's running perfectly and even faster than with Windows 7.

Windows 10: Will your PC run it?
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-will-your-pc-run-it/

Xtergo

Reputable
May 4, 2015
If you are upgrading from windows 7 to 10 you'll face fps dips and hiccups in performance until you do a clean install, It is recommended to do a clean install based on my personal tests.

The 2500K is still a great processor if you are facing problems with your system interms of performance an Overclock to both cpu and ram would be great.

Windows 10 isn't going to improve performance in games any more than Windows 8 did. The performance difference is negligible. There are some improvements in the performance of the OS itself however, such as boot times are better than 7, but those improvements come from the code refinements made for Windows 8, not from 10. 10 is actually slower than 8 due to bloat and other issues, but both 8 and 10 are faster than 7 in terms of OS performance, just as 7 was faster than Vista.

Your CPU is supported in 10 just fine. As others pointed out, support for modern CPUs will not be back-ported to older versions of Windows. So, as AMD and Intel, or anybody else for that matter, release new CPUs into the PC market, while they will still work in Windows 7 & 8, they won't have Microsoft's support as far as new features are concerned. Since they would still be x86 compatible CPUs, they will always be able to function in that fashion. It's a bit like using an SSD in Windows XP. It works just fine, but the OS isn't aware of features such as TRIM, so therefore using something like Windows 7 or newer is recommended in that case.

When games start natively targeting the DirectX 12 API, then you'll see a real benefit from running Windows 10 along with a DirectX 12 capable GPU.

Personally, I think 10 is a step backward as far as stability, feature set, ease of use, and overall, just how nice the Windows Explorer GUI shell looks, but that's my 2 cents.