help diagnozing my lag

MikkelDK

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Hello Toms Hardware forum. I am a university student from Denmark, who enjoys playing games whenever there is time. I bought myself a rather expensive computer (compared to my budget atleast), and I will list my speccs later down.

So my problem is kind of hard to explain. It is some kind of lag, but I really can't pinpoint the problem. I hope you guys can help me. The best way to describe it is it feels like the screen stutters, I suppose. When it happens, I have to sit and wait and do nothing, like the computer has to catch up to something. Usually waiting for it to stop works, but sometimes it is "permanent". A friend of mine told me I could take out my RAM and put them in again, and it actually fixed the "permanent" studdering, but it didn't bring a permanent fix for the problem.

The games I play are Dota 2 and World of Warcraft. This problem happens when:
- I play Dota 2 for approx 30 min
- I play World of Warcraft + something else (For example Hearthstone, watch a stream on Twitch)

All this on maximum graphics, and with nothing else running in the background. I tried to watch my CPU and Memory during this problem in Dota 2, but they are both around 50-60%. I tried to turn down the graphics in Dota 2, and it felt like the problem took longer to occur, but it happened non the less. At these lowered settings, my CPU was at around 30% and Memory at 45%.

Speccs:
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 670
- AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
- Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500 GB
- Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. ; GA-970A-DS3
- 2x Kingston HyperX 4 GB, DDR3

Speedtest shows:
9 ping; 136 Mbps down // 11 Mbps up

Extra info:
The problem happened before I installed my SSD. It has happened for some time, and I have tested the temperature before. It was below any critical points, so I doubt it has anything to do with that.

I hope someone can help me out here. Cheers :)

edit: bump?

MikkelDK

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
I don't have any offline games installed.. Is it very important to test for?

About the FPS: Dota 2, maximum settings (no Vsyn though): It started at around 110 and it dropped to after 2mins 80ish before it suddenly went to 6 fps after 3:30 mins.

MikkelDK

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
It looks like my bios version is back from 2013 (Its called F2). What are the risks upgrading that? And do you have a good guide for it?

The Chipset driver should be up to date, yes. I will open my computer and tell you about the PSU later.
Thanks for your attention :)

I only have my experience with asus motherboards but should be quite similar get a usb stick download bios from motherboard web site re-boot hammer the "del" button in bios go to bios flash select the usb bios flash it 2-3 mins and should be done if you are unsure look on youtube

MikkelDK

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Alright. My BIOS is now up to date, and I opened up and checked my PSU

Raidmax RX-600AF; total output 600W, 230V, 50 Hz.

TRENDING THREADS