Using a Monitor as a TV too?

VampLena

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
Hey all, I need some help here. Im planning to move out on my own soon and anticipate money (and space) to be tight to start out. So Im trying to figure out if i can use my monitor as a TV temporarily, until i can scrap some money together to buy a proper TV.

Im using the Samsung 2343BWX 23-Inch LCD Monitor ( http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2343BWX-23-Inch-LCD-Monitor/dp/B001N0H8YW ) and it has 2 inputs. One for DVI with HDCP . And the other is a VGA input.

If its possible how can I go about it? My GPU uses the DVI right now, but would it be possible to buy an adapter to move it to using the VGA slot, and buy a HDMI to DVI Adaptor for TV functions or even just get a HDMI to VGA adapter and leave the PC using the DVI slot, then just use the source switch on the monitor to swap per need?

Thanks for any advice

Solution
Given that to work with, I'd just get one HDMI to DVI cable/converter and then just physically swap cables when you want to use the xBox/PS from the hub. I would leave the VGA port out of it.

Geekwad

Admirable
Sure it's possible, but the exact setup will depend on the interface. Will there be a cable box, or broadcast television from a digital antenna? Are you trying to interface with Coax, or some other I/O type?

VampLena

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
I'm not planning to get cable TV to start, the setup is just my HDMI hub with my ps4 and Xbox one hooked into it. Ps4 for gaming and Xbox one for Netflix and vudu and other tv stuff.

So hdmi wire from the hub to monitor and ps4 and Xbox hooked into the hub.

Geekwad

Admirable
Given that to work with, I'd just get one HDMI to DVI cable/converter and then just physically swap cables when you want to use the xBox/PS from the hub. I would leave the VGA port out of it.

Solution