Please Help me get the best Motherboard for my Setup! (Motherboard just died)

evornoss

Reputable
May 13, 2014
Hi there,

My PC recently suffered a loss of two major components, the PSU and the Motherboard. I already got a new PSU (Corsair HX750i) and I've been looking for the best Z97 Motherboard for the money.

My motherboard that died was an ASRock Z97 Extreme6, which at the time I bought it was pretty bad ass. Now its dead, don't really know if it had to do with the PSU cause the PSU died aswell. Luckily for me my CPU, RAM, SSDs and GPU are OK.

I am not sure if I should re-order the ASRock Z97 Extreme6 or if there is a better option out there.. I am looking around $140 - $190 max for the motherboard, preferably Z chipset so I can do some mild overcloking and I don't care about WiFi or Bluetooth.

Do you guys have a better option than rebuying that ASRock? Please help me out! Any input will be highly appreciated.

--
PC Specs:

Case: Phanteks EVOLV ATX Artic Gray (just ordered it!)
CPU: Intel i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz (soon to be replaced, feel free to suggest anything)
GPU: XFX R9 280X 3GB (soon to be replaced with an NVIDIA 1070)
PSU: Corsair HX750i

evornoss

Reputable
May 13, 2014

I've been looking at that very board as well.. couple of bad reviews here and there but good reviews seems to be way more common. Thanks for the reply!

Garilia

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2014

I usually look at ASrock (as you obviously did previously), Asus, and Gigabyte for mobo's. That board stands out in a sweet spot of overall good reviews and price. I examined the specs and ratings on boards by Gigabyte, Asrock, and even MSI, and I think that bard is very good. There will always be a few bad reviews. In fact, people are usually more inclined to post a review when it's negative. So when you see a board that's over a year old and has a really good majority of good reviews (and not just by the paid reviewers, but the users on Newegg and Amazon), I think it's as safe a bet as any.

evornoss

Reputable
May 13, 2014

I also search for those brands, usually in that same order as you mentioned.

I think I will go ahead and go with that board, seems to be the best price/performance+features ratio available right now. Will update this when I boot from my now sleeping-till-a-motherboard arrives PC. Thanks again!