Can I install windows via external harddrive on to a newly built pc!?

PCNIGHTMARE

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
Hi my pc build is done now i want to install a operating system,

first question do i need internet connection to install windows etc cos i dnt have a wireless wifi adapter and lan is not an option cos im upstairs.

second question can I use a external harddrive of 1 tb to install windows on my pc cos i tried to use mediaextractiontoolkit that i downloaded of microsoft.com but it wont recognize my external harddrive....is the stupid little usb stick rlly the only option!?
DO i nrlly need to buy it just to install windows!?

Solution
You don't need internet to install it, just to update and activate it later.

you can only install off a USB or DVD, external hdd won't work as its not an expected path and the installation is likely to bug out when it restarts.

If this is a new motherboard and CPU etc then yes, you have to buy it to install windows. If iits an upgrade of a previous install of win 10 and you didn't replace motherboard, then you can reinstall it for free.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You don't need internet to install it, just to update and activate it later.

you can only install off a USB or DVD, external hdd won't work as its not an expected path and the installation is likely to bug out when it restarts.

If this is a new motherboard and CPU etc then yes, you have to buy it to install windows. If iits an upgrade of a previous install of win 10 and you didn't replace motherboard, then you can reinstall it for free.

Solution