R9 390 World of Warcraft

Massup

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Greetings!

So I'm going to upgrade my pc at the end of summer, but my GPU will probably remain. It is an R9 390. I'm going to get a skylake cpu (either the i5 6600k or the i7 6700k). I heard rumors about AMD gpus not doing so well in WoW for some reason. So the question is: Can the R9 390 keep up a decent fps (around 50-60) with that cpu? Including raids of course.

lukethenoob

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
Different sections of the game will improved on whether it will require CPU or GPU power. It will give (possibly) a few more frames. I have the AMD FX8350 with a GTX 760 and I'm getting 60fps running around Azeroth on High (with shadows all the way down). In BGs or raids I get about 40fps. In situations like raiding or BGs where you'll see a mass of characters chopping away at something I think you'll see a difference. Despite that, on average not really.

Massup

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015

I did not try WoW with this card yet. I'm going to buy legion when it comes out. So That's why i'm asking this. :) I just want to make sure that this cpu - gpu combo can run wow with constant fps on ultra. Possibly AA tuned down.

The 390 is a very powerful card and Wow is a very old game graphically.

In raids the new i5 or i7 will perform the same basically, I'd suspect you can easily stay above 60FPS on ultra with that card and either CPU in raids without issue.

WoW always had a preference for Intel CPUs over AMD CPUs, never really heard anything about the GPU preference.

Massup

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015

Some people say Nvidia is favored by the game. Saw a few guy wit ha gtx970 staying around 100-130 fps with it. Well if that is the case, I might go for the new gtx 1070 with selling my R9 390. The price gap is not supposed to be that high. Uhoh before I forget. A little offtopic question, but I have a CoolerMaster Hyper 212X and I'm planning to OC the i7 6700k just becouse WoW can use it. Can that cooler keep it at normal temps? I also have a Zalman Z3 plus case, and i'll dump the 4 build in 1200ish rpm fans for 2250 rpm ones. I'm planning to go for 4,5 GHZ if that is possible.

I'm at a pretty solid 30-40 minimum FPS on a Haswell i5 with a Radeon 7950 using MSAA at almost maxed out settings. Get around 50 in calmer areas. I turn down shadows a bit and particles since I don't like having that much clutter on the screen. R9-390 and new i5 should have no issues at 60 fps on High with good AA on.