Asus Monitor Descision: IPS or TN

Seaclam

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
With the GTX 1080 here, I'm looking to move up to a 27" 1440 monitor with an upgrade to a single 1080 card. These 1080's seem to be, for me at least, the first single card solution for 1440 playing at high settings. I've been an Asus monitor fan for many years now and I seem to be looking at two possible monitors:

1. PG279Q: IPS/1440/Gsync/144hz
2. PG278Q: TN/1440/Gsync/165hz

I don't really care much about the super high refresh rates or 3D.
I do care about Gsync.
I do care about color, but I don't do photo/video work.
Mostly a gamer/everyday use: internet/etc.
GTG times-Input lag/delay is not a huge problem for me, but I can "feel" it non-the-less.....it is weird and somewhat un-natural.
Off axis viewing is not a concern since I'm looking straight ahead anyhow and no multi-monitor setup.

My main concern, and it's a biggie to be honest, is the often reported backlight bleed of IPS panel technology. I've seen video of it and I find that to be a major manufacturing problem or just a bad limitation of the technology. I'm leaning towards a TN since I don't do anything color related, although the richer colors in games is nice. Too bad there isn't another monitor tech out there to buy that gives you the best of both worlds.

Any thoughts are welcome.......

It's a way for the manufactureres to cut corners. Pro monitors don't have IPS glow or backlight bleed, and are built to last longer, as well as less frequent calibration required. On all consumer monitors, calibrating is required at least once per month, so there are definitely limitations.

Anyways, the PG279Q is the 165 Hz monitor, not the PG278Q. And between the two, I would go with the 279, because IPS 24 bit + 30 bit FRC is better than just 24 bit. You also have a major issue with contrast uniformity on TN, as well as viewing angles are very small, before you lose detail.

IPS glow is exclusive to that, but backlight bleed happens on all 4 LCD types, TN, IPS, PLS, VA. The monitors with the best colors, best contrast, least amount of defects are VA, but or 1440p you'd have to move up to 32" in size, which isn't THAT much bigger than 27" actually, but no GSync, and no high refresh rate.

To clarify, if a TN is using a 24 bit panel, and an IPS is using a 24 bit panel, there is no difference in color reproduction. That's a myth that I often see, but none the less. It's important to have the viewing angles, because on TN, it matters even when viewing it from the front, you will see dark vignette around the screen, or color shift, I don't recommend them at all.

All the best!

Seaclam

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007

That's another thing that greatly concerns me with IPS. Whichever it is, be it the IPS glow or backlight bleed, I've read far too many reviews/experiences from people having to return multiple monitors in order to get a good one. That's just plain wrong and diminishes my faith in the technology and manufacturing process for consumer IPS. That's another reason why I'm leaning towards a TN panel, simply because I don't want to play that "game" with IPS.

cl-justin

Respectable
Apr 21, 2016
Seaclam, ASUS has improved the PG279Q'S quality control . Every NEW PG279Q sold in North America must now pass a visual inspection in a darkened environment before it’s shipped to a vendor. This will help with the back light bleed issues.

I have a PG278Q and love it. If you are not too picky about the IPS/TN, Etc. I would get the 278Q the 1MS refresh rate opposed to the 4ms definitely helps if you are playing FPS. Due to the nature of the IPS technology, there is going to be IPS GLOW of some sort.

Source to improved quality control? There's no way they would do that, they would be losing a lot of money if they did. The standard must be very low then, maybe better than previously, but still far from perfect.

The "1 ms" isn't the refresh rate. And it's also not better than "4 ms", that's just a marketing trick to fool consumers.

Multiple lies in that article.
¨
" we’re not making excuses. We stand behind our products, and we’re ultimately accountable to our customers."

Thats the funniest thing I've seen a company say since the Samsung quality standard fiasco.

"you can exchange the monitor for a new one. We want to ensure that all of our customers have an opportunity to receive units that have been through our more stringent quality control process."

That's very cool of them. More companies should do this.

However, their lies about IPS glow and backlight bleed being an issue are just lies. Pro monitors don't have any of that, at all.

Thanks for sharing!

Seaclam

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I guess what it really boils down to is which is the lesser of two evils. I've seen those YouTube videos of IPS glow and it can look really bad. I mean, if you are playing a dark game or a dark segment in a game, I would think those glow sections are going to be ugly. So, yea....I'm currently leaning towards a TN panel, as it just seems IPS is a exercise in frustration for too many out there in trying to get a good one. I don't want that frustration in any way, shape or form. I'm really not looking to get my 1080 card and a 27" 1440 until some newer games come out this year like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided(August), Dishonored 2(November), Mafia 3(October) to name a few.....then several more in 2017. Hopefully by late August, 1080 cards will be in enough stock to pick one up at my local Fry's or Micro-Center.

TRENDING THREADS