confused about gaming monitor that allows me to go above 60 fps

mir_1

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
So, i did some reserches and i found out my actual monitor is limited to 60-65 fps due to the fact that is a 60 hz monitor.
Now i am building my new pc and when i will have all pieces except for gpu (because i have seen g-sync is for amd and freesync for nvidia) i will start looking for a gaming monitor.
I have seen some gamers have around 300 fps, obviously depend from build and from games, anyway i wonder what type of monitor do they have ?
what monitor do i need to get even just 100/150 fps ?
I am a bit confused from cables too, i have seen that hdmi is limited to 60 hz so i need 2 hdmi cables or a dvi dvi-d
a monitor in 144 hz is limited to 144 fps ?
if not, how many fps can i get with 144 hz monitors ?

p.s. If u are planning to comment like this "you can't see above 60 fps" or shit like that, please, PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT. THANK YOU.

If You Are Interested In Buying A Monitor Please Fill Out The Following As This Will Help Narrow Down Recommended Choices:

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin? italy

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? gaming
3. What resolution and screen size do you want? 1980x1080 (something like this, i am not aiming to 3d or 4k)
4. What refresh rate do you want? whater get me more that 60 fps

5. How much are you looking to spend?around 300/350 euro

6. Brands Preferred ? whatever you think is good

7. Brands Not Preferred ? none

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor? no

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable? i don't know but i am planning to buy gtx 980 ti or gtx 1070 or the rx 480

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To ? doesn't matter

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display? Primary and only one monitor

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop? no is my primary and only one desktop monitor

Solution
1) 300FPS:
That means the GPU is creating 300FPS. The monitor only updates as fast as it can refresh. For example, if it was a 60Hz monitor and you had 300FPS from the GPU you end up with the parts of SIX different frames on the screen at the same time.

This is what causes SCREEN TEARING. If you move the camera horizontally then vertical lines don't match up (like a telephone pole).

If you had 120FPS and the top was the first part of a frame, and the bottom the second part of the NEXT frame the GPU created then a telephone pole would be split right at the middle of the screen. How close the pieces are depends on how FAST you are moving horizontally (in real life you see all sorts of annoying flickering though in some games it may not...
1) 300FPS:
That means the GPU is creating 300FPS. The monitor only updates as fast as it can refresh. For example, if it was a 60Hz monitor and you had 300FPS from the GPU you end up with the parts of SIX different frames on the screen at the same time.

This is what causes SCREEN TEARING. If you move the camera horizontally then vertical lines don't match up (like a telephone pole).

If you had 120FPS and the top was the first part of a frame, and the bottom the second part of the NEXT frame the GPU created then a telephone pole would be split right at the middle of the screen. How close the pieces are depends on how FAST you are moving horizontally (in real life you see all sorts of annoying flickering though in some games it may not be very noticeable. there are a few factors that affect tearing severity but my post is already too long. anyway)

2) How many FPS on a 144Hz monitor?
As said the monitor only updates 144X per second. You can only get 144 full frames per second. You would use VSYNC ON to ensure the cap, though if you can't actually output at least 144FPS from the GPU then you will get STUTTERING.

VSYNC stutter is caused by the next, FULL frame not being created by the time the monitor is ready to draw another frame. Thus it draws the SAME exact frame as last time. So you will get a mixture of perceived frames. Such as 1/144th second, 2/144th second etc all in the same second.

3) *Yep, you can see above 60FPS. It varies by the person, but a lot of testing for 20/20 persons suggest roughly 165FPS is pretty close to the maximum. The brightness, speed, size of screen etc also affect this so it's a bit complicated.

Pilots have been tested and shown over 400FPS but that's with a black screen flashing a quick image. The more you overwhelm the eye/brain processing system the less capable you are of separating the data into identifiable chunks.

Latency or your personal response time is also a lot better at 144FPS than it is at 60FPS. That's why people playing CSGO prefer 144Hz monitors.

Again though, these people may play at "300FPS" but it's still only partial frames stitched together.

(average response time to a visual cue is about 250ms, but only 125ms for an audible cue. Neat. it's an evolutionary response to hearing a predator stalk you.)

4) GSYNC and Freesync at 144Hz are pretty much identical though Freesync has issues with many of the lower refresh monitors. I won't bother getting into a lot of detail.

5) Not sure of Euros, though $500USD is the cost of a half decent, Freesync monitor (2560x1440, IPS, 27") whereas a similar GSYNC monitor is over $700USD.

These monitors basically create a frame with the GPU, then send it to the monitor and it displays it very quickly. All the main monitor issues like screen tear or VSYNC lag etc are due to the fact that normal monitors update at a SPECIFIC interval (i.e. 1/60th every second for 60Hz).

6) I'll repeat that many of the AMD monitors for Freesync don't work. I better explain that. You need at least 2.5X the ratio for asynchronous mode. If it lists the range as 30Hz to 75Hz it's okay for the low end (no issue below 30FPS). If it's 30Hz to 60Hz it's no good.

144Hz is ideal though, otherwise you have to stay in the range naturally or FORCE an FPS CAP (such as 70FPS if 30Hz to 75Hz) to keep the monitor in the asynchronous range.

*If you go above the range you operate with either VSYNC ON or VSYNC OFF (for 144Hz VSYNC ON is ideal as the latency is pretty low since the next frame is only 1/144th of a second away. VSYNC OFF gives screen tearing.)

Summary:
This is a confusing topic to many, so I'm sure you are somewhat confused. Hopefully this gets you started though.

It's like RX-480 + FreeSync monitor will be best for your budget but I don't have the local pricing for where you are. You can try the UK pcpartpicker link if that's a place you can order from.

Note that the RX-480 will have a 4GB and 8GB version. I suggest the 8GB version.

Solution
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/

I don't know if that's usable, but it's the closest I can find. If it is useful you can FILTER for example to only show FreeSync.

I then filtered to show at least 144Hz and we see that roughly 200 Euros is the cheapest. That's a 24", 1920x1080, 144Hz, TN panel. You'd want to look up a review and customer feedback as well.

I do not recommend below 144Hz as discussed above.

So again, not sure of the budget but one of these and an RX-480 (perhaps Asus Strix 8GB version or similar) might be ideal for you.

Good luck!

IPS is preferable though some TN panels look pretty good (TN viewing angles can wash out color even if almost centered).