GTX 1080 on 1440p 144hz G-Sync TN vs 4K 60hz IPS?

iKrloz

Honorable
Jun 9, 2015
Now that we can see that GTX 1080 is capable of 4k gaming at 60fps on average on most games, I'm considering an upgrade of my Dell S2716DG to a 4K 60FPS IPS monitor. At first, it may look like I'm looking for a downgrade but I actually get dizzy and have headaches when I play games at 144fps I just cant handle that much FPS, 60fps on the other hand is my sweet spot on FPShooters and other games so at least for me downgrading from 144hz to 60hz is no problem, I happen to be lucky enough to track down a Gtx 1080 from EVGA so now that I have a 4K gaming ready card I would like your opinion regarding if I should upgrade (the only downside of the updgrade being that I wont have G-sync anymore since I can only afford the 4K 60hz IPS NON G-sync monitors that there are out there), or if I should wait until 4k gets more mainstream therefore less pricey, since 4k 60hz IPS monitors are 500 USD which is affordable for me and the same display but with G-sync it costs +800 USD

Solution
1080 may still not be powerful enough to run 4k on its own, even on 60hz, without turning some details down (which is the reason why I am holding out for the big Pascal chip).

I bought a non G-Sync 4k monitor (BL3201PT, 32" 4k IPS) to go with my 1440p TN Swift, my personal opinion is that neither can replace the other. Many will undoubtedly give up TN in favor of IPS, I am not one of those, and I don't play twitch games. I personally have a much lower level of tolerance towards IPS glow, mainly because it's not uniform (IE it doesn't glow evenly across the screen, it only glows in the corners), which I find highly distracting.

The only G-Sync capable IPS monitor I am aware of is the 27" PG27AQ, but I would personally find it quite...

chenw

Honorable
1080 may still not be powerful enough to run 4k on its own, even on 60hz, without turning some details down (which is the reason why I am holding out for the big Pascal chip).

I bought a non G-Sync 4k monitor (BL3201PT, 32" 4k IPS) to go with my 1440p TN Swift, my personal opinion is that neither can replace the other. Many will undoubtedly give up TN in favor of IPS, I am not one of those, and I don't play twitch games. I personally have a much lower level of tolerance towards IPS glow, mainly because it's not uniform (IE it doesn't glow evenly across the screen, it only glows in the corners), which I find highly distracting.

The only G-Sync capable IPS monitor I am aware of is the 27" PG27AQ, but I would personally find it quite small, and it could be problematic in games that do not support UI/Text scaling.

Solution

jeffler383

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I play on a 1440p gsync monitor using a 980 sli setup, and on most games average between 70-100 fps. To me, this is the sweet spot because a: 1440p is a big enough upgrade over 1080p that you def notice it, b: once fps gets above 90ish I really can't tell much of a difference anyway and c: gsync is the bees knees.

I'm not a huge fan of 4k for a couple of reasons, primarily because the increase in image fidelity, for me anyways, is not that much greater than 1440p, the hardware requirements to run at 60+ fps consistently are still through the roof (no single cards can do it) and the price for monitors is still prohibitive. Yes, it looks great, but imo it still takes to much to game at high settings above 60fps. I'm sure that one day 4k will be the new 1440p and I'll make the switch then, but right now my 27" monitor is very nearly perfect for me.

EDIT: the results I get on my sli setup are consistently about 5-10% better than what most reviews are showing for a single 1080. Individual mileage will vary, but I dont think you'll have to worry too much about games at 1440p pegging a 144hz refresh

Miketdavo

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
I see no point to fps 4k gaming unless you like being taken out while your enjoying the visual fidelity 4k gives you. In the other hand if your into mmo type games, then sure.