Need help future proofing

MemphisRaine

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
hello guys,

I have a GTX 970 xtreme gaming and a dell monitor at the moment, I'm looking forward of upgrading my components slowly up to next year. I'm using my PC as a multi-media/gaming PC. the current build is:
skylake 6600 (nonk)
Asus H170 pro gaming
Noctua Nh-d15
gskill ripjaws V 8gb 2400
Samsung evo 850 120gb
Seasonic M12II 750w bronze

my question is: I'd like to improve my video capability at this time and looking to upgrade it to atleast 27 inch monitor and also, upgrade my video card. I'm eyeing to get the 1080 gtx xtreme gaming from gigabyte and the ROG SWIFT IPS pg279q. Is the upgrade that I'm doing necessary? I need some feedback, cause i wanna maximize my gaming and my watching experience. or should I just get a decent monitor which is 27-42 inch?

Solution
I'd wait a few months to see what companies have to offer in terms of 1080s and 1070s. The current ones out are reference cards and while good they are priced higher intentionally. If money is not a problem then by all means yes get a 1080, it will blow your 970 out of the water and probably be a good bet for the next few years. In a few months EVGA, MSI ect will have different kinds of the new cards for sale at potentially cheaper prices.

For a new monitor I'd recommend the Acer xb270hu if you can afford it. It's a fantastic monitor that will definitely last a while.

reddwarf45

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I'd wait a few months to see what companies have to offer in terms of 1080s and 1070s. The current ones out are reference cards and while good they are priced higher intentionally. If money is not a problem then by all means yes get a 1080, it will blow your 970 out of the water and probably be a good bet for the next few years. In a few months EVGA, MSI ect will have different kinds of the new cards for sale at potentially cheaper prices.

For a new monitor I'd recommend the Acer xb270hu if you can afford it. It's a fantastic monitor that will definitely last a while.

Solution