Help please! Is this acceptable backlight bleed for Acer xb271hu?

Dogblaster

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
Hello,

I bought Acer xb271hu for 800 dollars today and it is really nice looking monitor, but I noticed that it might have some backlight bleeding, I am really not that good at comparing gaming monitors (I was using 32 inch tv for gaming for 6 years).

Please, is this acceptable level of backlight bleeding (Brightness around 65) or I should return this unit, get replacement or maybe try Asus TN version (144hz/1440p). Would TN version be really that worse picture for me, gamer who play mmorpgs, dota, later battlefield 1?

Thank you for your help!

IMAGE1
IMAGE2

All I wanted is upgrade from 32 1080p TV to nice 27 1440p monitor to pair it with my new Nvidia 1080 :(

Solution

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) - a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across connections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

If a device is not compliant, copyrighted HD content (for simplicity sake) will not be displayed on the output device (in this case, the monitor). This applies to some internet streaming services, Blue Ray and I think DVDs.

nxuWlO4.png
That looks like a defective panel. But you do have the brightness super high for some reason... why? It is so bright that a black screen is lighting up the room. Put it on "gaming" preset with gamma 2.2 at about 30 brightness.

The best pic I could get of my XB270HU.
31NjkcY.jpg

Dogblaster

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

I did what you told me to do, also did some tweaking with my mobile camera so it looks more actual to what I see. What do you think?

IMAGE1
IIMAGE2

I am not sure if its worth returning it and getting another unit, what you think??? Is there even a chance I could get this Acer with better panel without BLB ... or Dell/Asus TN is my only option? I cant afford going Asus IPS version tbh atm.

That is way better. Now when using your monitor normally, can you see it? It is nearly impossible to get a monitor without some bleed. Also don't confuse IPS glow with bleed.

When using the monitor in close proximity (1.5ft - 2ft away), you notice on the edges how it looks like a glossing over effect or like there is a lot of bleed going on? That is IPS glow and it goes away once you sit back from the monitor. The bleed on yours isn't bad at all.

Dogblaster

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

Not many games are that black/dark for me to really notice it, but I can notice it on my desktop screen, or little bit while watching some movie and there are those black lanes below and over the movie.

This is how I see it while I am at desktop.

IMAGEEE

Kinda noticable right? I pumed almost all my savings into this monitor + 1080 preorder and I am now not sure if I should return it and try other unit, try TN panel or keep it. ...

Ultimately it is entirely up to you. I mean it is an $800 monitor so feel free to return or exchange until you are satisfied with it.

I took some pics with my brothers camera:
MKG8b7e.jpg

In reality it isn't nearly that bright. In your pics, is it actually that bright to the naked eye?

Dogblaster

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

Not as bright, but about 50% I would say. Would Dell S2716DG be good alternative?, It cost around 200 less dollars here, I know it is TN panel but I sit in front of my computer so view angle should not be a problem, I wanted nice upgrade from 6 years old TV Samsung UE32D5500 for mmorpg addiction, battlefield 1, etc. Do TN panels suffers these issues?

You would keep this unit, replace it or try other monitor? I am really lost

Indeed they do suffer from the same problems.

If you want a TN panel I recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405 ROG SWIFT PG278Q. It also has gsync and ULMB if you want that. It is TN but it is a high quality panel so it should look nearly or as good as the one you currently have.

If you are happy with it then keep it, if not, refund or exchange. The point being that it is expensive and if it has something you don't like, don't settle for it.

Dogblaster

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

Thank you for your advice, I wiIl keep plaing on it for few days and see :) This Asus PG278Q is better than that Dell I posted?

Apparently the Dell is not HDCP compliant over DisplayPort. So no HD content can be played on it if you connect it in this manner.

While you were researching for your new monitor, I am sure you came across this: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

I bring it up because it shows what settings they used to get it calibrated correctly. From there you can adjust to suit your individual panel. The XB271HU is the same monitor as the 270 except with more inputs.

Currently I am using "User" preset
30 brightness
50 contrast
2.2 gamma
warm colour temp
g-sync enabled (144hz desktop refresh rate)

I ended up putting some electrical tape over the power LED because it is just far too bright and in my dimly lit area, it is invisible.

Dogblaster

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

Not exactly sure what HDCP is, what it does? Could you elaborate on it?
Anyway I am really grateful for your help so far, I ll play on this monitor for today and then decide if I try TN one, might go with Asus one. Its just I shouln't have read all those BLB issues, didn't know what it is 3 days ago and now even tho I would not notice it before I am annoyed by it :D

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) - a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across connections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

If a device is not compliant, copyrighted HD content (for simplicity sake) will not be displayed on the output device (in this case, the monitor). This applies to some internet streaming services, Blue Ray and I think DVDs.

nxuWlO4.png

Solution