Random BSOD on Custom Windows 10 PC - "Memory Management Error" and "Page Fault in Non-paged Area"

roots94

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
I'm having an issue with my desktop that I just built. It was running problem-free for about a week, but started randomly crashing to a BSOD.

When I say random, I do mean that it seems random. I can be playing a game, browsing the internet, or working on Word, and sometimes it won't crash and sometimes it will. I've even left it doing nothing and come back to find it rebooted after a BSOD. Sometimes I can play a game for an hour before it crashes; other times it will crash five minutes after rebooting.

The BSOD gives me one of two different messages: "memory management error" or "page fault in non-paged area."

Here's my build (I'm running Windows 10):

-MSI Z97 PC MATE Intel Mobo
-Intel Core i3-4170 Processor
-CORSAIR Vengeance LP 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (x2)
-XFX AMD Radeon R9 280 GPU
-Corsair CX600M 600W ATX 12V 80 Plus Bronze Modular PSU
-Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA HD
-SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III SSD

I thought it might be a driver issue at first, so I updated all my drivers, but that didn't help. I also tried reseating all my components, but that didn't help either. I also tried running each RAM module by itself in case it was faulty RAM, but no dice. Any other possible solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Solution

Hello again roots94

Looks like the RAM stick is faulty.

If there are two RAM sticks, try pulling one out and starting the computer. If the issue persists, put the first RAM back in and try pulling the second one out.

This way you can identify the faulty RAM.

Also if possible, can you please try using a different RAM (without purchasing a new one)? You can ask any of your friends to help you in this...
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to run Windows Update and install all the update available.
- Once done, do run SFC Scanner.
- Search for Command Prompt, right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
- Once open, type sfc/scannow then press Enter. While until it finish the scan and see if it will solve the issue or not.
- If these steps will not work, proceed with doing a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the AMD graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to AMD.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed then test it again.
- If the same problem will persist, do also run a memory test just to make sure everything is working properly.
- If all test will pass, last option would be to reinstall Windows 10.
- Do also try installing the latest BIOS version.
- Here's the link: http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/7850v4B.zip

roots94

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

Thanks for your reply.

I tried all your solutions. Windows Updater suggested no updates. SFC Scanner found nothing wrong. I uninstalled my AMD driver, then downloaded and reinstalled it, but my problem persists. Reinstalling Windows was a pain, but it was also unsuccessful. I finally tried flashing the BIOS, and this was also unsuccessful.

I am now receiving three new error messages in addition to the ones I was already seeing. The five BSOD messages I get are:

- MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
- PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
- CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
- SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
- error 0xc000021a

roots94

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

Thanks for your reply. I tried this solution and it was unsuccessful. :( I am now receiving three new BSOD messages in addition to the two I was already seeing. On any given BSOD I will see one of the following:

- MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
- PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
- CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
- SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
- error 0xc000021a

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Hello again roots94

Can you please try Increasing the Pagefile Size of Your Computer?

Hope this helps. :)

Hello again roots94

Looks like the RAM stick is faulty.

If there are two RAM sticks, try pulling one out and starting the computer. If the issue persists, put the first RAM back in and try pulling the second one out.

This way you can identify the faulty RAM.

Also if possible, can you please try using a different RAM (without purchasing a new one)? You can ask any of your friends to help you in this.

Report back with the results and we'll try to provide you more accurate solution for the problem. :)

Cheers!!

Solution

roots94

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

Thanks for your reply. After trying each stick of RAM independently, I identified the faulty one. I removed it from my computer, and it has not crashed in almost three weeks. I think it's definitely solved! Thank you very much for your help. :)