Bottleneck free build review

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I'm building another PC and I need your input on it. After the scare that happened to me last Saturday I think I need to do this, my computer wasn't booting into Windows 7 luckily the problem was resolved. So I need your full honest opinions about this PC build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mJFj4C

What is it a Facebook PC? If all you want to do is surf the web you can drop the graphics card and drop the PSU to a lower watt unit, remove half the RAM and go with a much cheaper motherboard. should save $200.

Was just looking for a replacement for basic graphics and the A10-7890K with Wraith cooler looks good. That way you don't even need to buy an aftermarket cooler. Since it will be a small system like that, you could even go with a tiny case.

Honestly if you are looking for any type of gaming proficiency, that build is not it. It will play games though, just not that well.

It is possible though that I am being too harsh. But I am not so sure. For gaming at 1080p I wouldn't go with anything less than a R9 380 or a GTX 960. 16GB of RAM is cool and all, but it is a waste unless you are doing some very memory intensive task, gaming is not one of them. 8GB of fast DDR3 is a great balance here.

Now the CPU you selected is just basically obsolete. If you insist with going with AMD right now, the FX-8320 is the minimum I would recommend. it is a hot chip though and slow compared to even low end Intel chips (but intel does cost more). It has issues running anything more than a R9 380 or a GTX 960 without bottlenecking.

Get Windows 10 instead of 7. There is absolutely no reason to buy an ancient OS. If you don't like 10, find a good build of Linux instead. Linux has come a long way and is much more user friendly, if my mother can use it effortlessly, you can too.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

You had me going a long way until you got to Windows 10 and that's where I draw the line right there. Didn't even understand what that OS is did you read articles about how Windows 10 is a big Trojan horse that you have to sacrifice security and privacy? I'm not going to do that commenters have said previously it's one big fat Trojan horse whatever information visit OS gathers goes straight to Microsoft to be sold to third-party companies, governments etc. I am not going to take that risk to have my security and my privacy be left vulnerable so that the NSA can spy on me thanks but no thanks

So... just like every company in existence? Since you don't need an OS, there is $100 saved. Check this build out: Cost $1 USD more and is much more powerful and suited to gaming and includes a 1080p IPS monitor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($57.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.69 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card ($163.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($13.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer G227HQLbi 21.5" 60Hz Monitor ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $675.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-07 21:52 EDT-0400

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Doesn't this processor also has a 3G Intel Chip, the same chip that allows big brother to basically energize the processor via remote-control view your files on your hard drive by the NSA or hackers even when the power supply is off.

if you don't know what I'm talking about here is a link about the article I put up about this said chip.

USAFRet

Titan

Please describe the physics involved in reading data from a hard drive that is, in fact, powered off and not spinning at this moment.
How does that work?

USAFRet

Titan

So Windows 10 is 'bad', but you're going to go with "Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM 3-Pack 64-bit", for $109.00?
Enjoy your Russian backdoors, paid for with stolen credit cards, solely for money laundering.
Got it...

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I still don't even understand what the OP is asking... that CPU architecture is dead and there is no reason to buy it. Intel is better in pretty much every way. So opinions on your build? It's poor. Sinx's build is leaps and bounds better.

I do feel a strong desire to start wearing tinfoil though.

What makes you think you matter enough to anyone that they would put any amount of effort into spying on you?

There's seven and a half billion people on earth, and you're just one of the replaceable sacks of meat who currently walk around on it. And if you're not smart enough to pick your own parts to build a PC, you're not smart enough for anyone to care about your private life.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

I maybe smart enough to pick and build my own computer parts but I'm not dumb enough to pay for my own enslavement which is exactly what this is. I'm not saying that I won't buy any of Intel's CPU and use them in my build but this 3G chip in the vPro processors can be used to literally shut off and or kill your computer remotely at said will without your knowledge or consent if they choose to of course.

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I'm sorry, but this paranoia has made my day. Thanks for the laughs. If you want actual constructive thoughts, please take the baseless paranoia outside and come with an open mind for other people to offer real suggestions for improvements

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Go ahead and laugh CV_Taihou laugh it up all the way up when a hacker tries to hack you or someone you know or someone you know gets into your computer without turning it on don't say I didn't warn you because you were. I'm not here to make you paranoid I'm here to inform you that this chip has dual purposes that both hackers and government can exploit to spy on you.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Just wanted to add to this conversation something that we all (well, most of us) have learned about ourselves and why we don't fear our government overlords. In the grand scheme of things, nobody cares about you.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Well that's good to know,It's like I had before I don't mind building a PC with intel CPUs if you know that the chip is in their then that's good if not well now you know. That's all I have been saying.

So this is that "chip" you're talking about:
A vPro PC includes: Multi-core, multi-threaded Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7 and Xeon. Intel Active Management Technology (Intel AMT), a set of hardware-based features targeted at businesses. / allow remote access to the PC for management and security tasks, when an OS is down or PC power is off.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-active-management-technology.html

If you had any type of real IT job, you'd know that's an insanely useful feature so the network/system admin doesn't have to physically go to a PC/server to power it on, or perform any multitude of diagnostic tasks.

Dell servers have another similar thing known as an iDRAC card that allows remote BIOS access so you can remote into the PC before it's booted up.

Most consumer CPUs don't support vPro, which is the tech you're talking about. If they can turn it on without vPro, that capability will exist in pretty much every generation of CPUs since C2D. However, it probably won't be used on you unless you give them a good reason - it's not a catch-all tool.

MS has backported all the telemetry stuff back to 7 and 8.1, so you're no better off there. Use Linux, and if you're seriously concerned about them targetting you personally, compile it yourself.

Basically only mobile processors and a few of the latest Xeons support it:
http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced?VProTechnology=true&MarketSegment=MBL

Whoops, I was looking at processor that had it, or clicked a link on intels sight about processors that supported it, and only the xeons and mobile ones showed up *shrug*