Acer LED monitor displays logo when powered on, but then goes black after a few seconds

DarkArekkusu

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
I have an Acer - 19.5" LED HD monitor (S200HQL BD) that, when powered on, will display the logos, but then goes black again after a few seconds. I have tried using VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI connectors, but in all cases it tells me the cable is not connected. I have tried searching online for a solution, and the closest thing I found was that there was a possible failure with a CCFL lamp, but then I noticed that solution was for an LCD monitor, and mine is an LED. Before I take the monitor apart and start poking around, I wanted to see if anyone had any possible information on what the cause of this was and how I could fix it.

Thank you in advance for all assistance.

your monitor is a lcd with led back light instead of CCFL lights. have you tried the monitor on another computer to see if does same thing or not? does the monitor light also turn off or does it stay on? regular power cord or a power adapter?

DarkArekkusu

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016

Just curious, if it is LCD with LED back lights, then why is it labeled as LED?

Anyway, I don't have another computer I can test the monitor with. But I have two other monitors of the exact same make and model that I currently use and they work perfectly fine. The monitor that is not working, I have only tested with this computer, but I have unhooked both of the other monitors when testing it, just to make sure they weren't somehow causing an issue. As mentioned before, I have used three different types of connectors, and every time the monitor reads that the cable is not connected. Two of the cables I have tested with are ones that I use with my dual monitor setup (the DVI-D and HDMI cables). I tested with a VGA cable as well to see if it was by chance the connectors I was using for my current monitors.

As for the cord, it is an AC adapter. This is what I have. However, I have also tested it with the AC adapters for both of my other monitors as well, and the same issue still arises.

I was actually just testing it again to see what the monitor light did, and I'm getting a different problem now. The display is staying on, but it's only showing the "acer explore beyond limits™" image, and the power light remains solid and I cannot turn the monitor off with the power button, I can only do so by unplugging it completely.. However, when I plug in the HDMI cable, nothing happens. When I leave the HDMI cable plugged in, then unplug the monitor (since I cannot shut it off via the power button) and plug it back in, the screen goes completely white, and the blue power light disappears as if it were shut off. Then when I attempt to recreate the white screen problem, the logo just stays on the screen again as if the HDMI cable wasn't plugged in.

I am really truly stumped. I'm not sure if I could somehow submit a video to better show/explain what's going on, but this is very frustrating.

DarkArekkusu

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016

Well that answers one question. Any input on the other information?

DarkArekkusu

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016

I bought the monitor off of ebay a year ago. Even when I first got it, it would never work properly. I got a replacement one, but I kept this one because I thought I could fix it.

DarkArekkusu

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016

I have no issues with taking things apart carefully. I have completely disassembled and reassembled a few laptops before. The monitor isn't doing me any good right now, so I don't mind taking it apart if it will help me fix it. I just need to know what I'm looking for once it's apart.

DarkArekkusu

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016

I finally had some time to open up the monitor and check the capacitors. None of them appeared to be leaking, but a couple of them looked like they might be slightly domed. However, I wasn't sure so I went ahead and took a few pictures in hopes that someone might be able to spot something I overlooked.

http://imgur.com/a/woPLT

Any further assistance is greatly appreciated.

DarkArekkusu

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016

That is actually in the second picture. Above it says "EDID" in a white circle. That is the picture of that one.

DarkArekkusu

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016

Alright. I'm sure I already know the answer, but I'll ask anyway. Will I need a solder kit to remove the old ones and install the new ones?