Eyefinity Connectivity Setup-Will this work?

Sparkz101

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Hi guys,

I've just received a third monitor and I would like to use eyefinity to display games across all three monitors. All three monitors are the same and have VGA and DVI ports on them. I know that Eyefinity requires at least one of the monitors to be connected via display port, and I plan on grabbing an active adapter for my last display. I currently have only 2 DVI cables and 1 VGA cable, so would it be possible to grab a active DisplayPort to VGA adapter for the last monitor? According to the amd website http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/gpu50-ati-eyefinity-display-connectivity.aspx this configuration is not shown (DVI, DVI, DP to VGA). Does that mean that this wouldn't work? I know that it says example configurations, but I'd rather not buy an adapter and realize that I wasted a couple bucks on it.

Thanks in advance.

Although this issues comes up specifically for "eyefinity", it's actually the same to connect 3+ monitors to AMD cards. In other words, if the three displays work, then eyefinity will work. Have you got that third monitor working yet?

Also, with GCN 1.0 and previous cards it's true that every monitor after the *second* (edit) required a dedicated DP or active adapter. My understanding is however that GCN 1.1 cards and later (like the 290, 290X, etc), actually support 3 displays before requiring additional displays to be native DP or active adapter. If you have one of those cards it might be better off sticking with cheap passive adapters.

Which graphics card do you have specifically?

Sparkz101

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Thanks for the quick reply. I currently have an XFX R9 380 4GB graphics card, but I haven't been able to get the third monitor working only because my graphics card has only two DVI ports and no VGA ports. If a passive adapter will work for the third monitor, that would be great to know.

Thanks for your time.

TRENDING THREADS