How to transfer Windows 10 install disc onto USB Flash Drive

TIGERSHARK27

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
I made the silly mistake of purchasing Windows 10 on a disc, and not getting a USB Flash Drive with it pre-installed. I already have a computer with Windows 10, but it's a crappy computer that I'll be throwing away, so this copy of Windows 10 is for a completely different PC I'm building, so I am NOT upgrading. This new system will not have an optical drive, so I have to boot the OS from a USB stick.

How do I transfer the installation contents from the disc, straight onto the USB Flash Drive so that I can boot from it (it's already empty)? Everywhere I've seen just links to downloads on the internet, but I don't see why that's necessary if I have the necessary components already in my computer. I can't just transfer files easily? I need special software to do this?

Solution
You don't. If you go onto Microsoft's website you can download the ISO directly to a USB for free set it as a bootable USB. All you need is the Windows key (which i assume you have with the disc).

p.s: on the old computer download Belrac. It will tell you what the windows key is for that one so you can use it again :)

dudalemon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2013
You don't. If you go onto Microsoft's website you can download the ISO directly to a USB for free set it as a bootable USB. All you need is the Windows key (which i assume you have with the disc).

p.s: on the old computer download Belrac. It will tell you what the windows key is for that one so you can use it again :)

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

You've bought a new Win 10 for the new PC?
And it is on DVD?
And you have not used it yet?

No problem.
Create a USB install with the MediaCreation tool.
Install with it.
When it asks, input the license key that came with the DVD.

If any of the above questions were wrong, please let us know.

TIGERSHARK27

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
I haven't built my new PC yet because I'm waiting for the graphics card I want to be available for purchase, but I'm just trying to get the USB ready for when I can install it. So the only reason I have a disc is for a backup? I really only need the product key then (not that I'll throw out the disc).

dudalemon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2013

nice, i wouldn't have picked up on that typo :(

TRENDING THREADS