How much is my computer worth?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneyejoe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
Looking to sell my custom built gaming PC, and I need some recommendations on how I should go about selling it. Its definitely an expensive piece of equipment, at least to me. Ive been using it for less than a year now, and I also would like recommendations of fair prices since this is custom built by a user such as myself. Here are the specifications below..

PS. I am selling simply because of a personal decision ive made to prioritize my budgeting and time, just a personal decision. I love gaming but I feel as though I cannot get to where I want to be while funding my time and money into this hobby any longer. Although I will use some of the money to buy a chromebook or a laptop to have for work/schooling and everyday use since i work with computers. However I do not want something that can game.. I was thinking a price range for this build would be around $2,000 - $1,500 USD But again this is open for discussion. =)

CPU - AMD FX-8350 (stock clocked)

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+ (stock clocked)

RAM - G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PSU - 650 Watt EVGA plus gold

Case - Phanteks PH-ES515P_TG Titanium Green Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Enthoo Pro M ATX Chassis

Motherboard - ASUS M5A97 PLUS AM3+ AMD 970/SB950 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

Storage - WD 7200rpm 1TB HDD + SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM

Operating system - Windows 8.1

DVD/CD drive standard drive..

I also have the monitor + keyboard + mouse im hoping to sell with it.. if recommended

Monitor - ASUS VH238H 23
Keyboard - Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (new version)
Mouse - Razer MAMBA Tournament edition

Oneyejoe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014

400??.. the GPU alone (granted it's been used) is about 300 on the lowest end.. and I have 1 TB + 500 GBs with ssd.. how 400??...

Oneyejoe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014

Okay I'm definatly missing something.. this entire PC setup costed over 1,000 USD easily.. why on earth would I sell this for 450??... I'd feel like I'm getting robbed

USAFRet

Titan

Used PC is...used. You paid $1,000 a year ago. You cannot sell it for more than what it cost new. PC parts lose value quickly.

The main thing holding it back is the FX-8350. That platform is at the end of its upgrade path.

You might get more total cash in parting out. Much more hassle, though.

D

Deleted member 217926

Parts depreciate immediately after you open them. Then you have a 4 year old processor that is beaten by an i3 in most gaming scenarios. I know you bought it recently but that doesn't change the fact that the 8350 was released in 2012. The GTX 970 has dropped dramatically in price over the last month or so as Nvidia released the 1xxx series.

You would probably get the most money back by parting it out. Look on ebay for your specific parts to get an idea. The 8350 goes for about $90 used.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ Yeah, not even close. Not even for 2 just like it.

Agree with the others. When you bought the parts, you paid retail, which includes the vendor's overhead, income tax expense, profit, etc. When you sell the system, you are not selling it at retail. Plus, the potential buyer doesn't know how the system was treated during it's lifetime (extreme overclocking, excessive heat), so is going to want a "discount" because of the risk of failure. And I assume you are not going to offer a warranty like a retailer would on new parts.

D

Deleted member 217926

Just off the top of my head ( but close to reality ):

CPU- $90
Motherboard - $50
RAM - $50
PSU - $50
SSD - $100
GTX 970 - $180
HDD - $30
Case - I have no idea without looking it up.

At this point, I would consider just keeping the system. It's not that it is a bad rig, but computer parts don't hold their value when newer generations are released.

Now, if you come across a 1950's era Fender Strat or Tele, I would gladly pay you the original retail price!

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep.

Oneyejoe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
I get that it's used and what not, and the CPU isn't the most powerful but it's a good rig.. I'm just suprised at how low the value for it is now.. shocked the heck out of me. I see PCs with some same parts yet less parts than I have in mine going for like 650ish and people are bidding on them. Just suprised me is all.. well alright I guess I'll keep it.. no way I'm selling it for less than 800 dollars. Nooo way. So idk what to do. But thanks for the awakening hahah.

Yeah you'll never smell $800, let alone $600.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, it's a reasonably good PC.
No, you cannot get your money back out of it.

Go buy a new car.
Drive it around for a year.
Now try to sell it for more than, or same as, a new model.

Not gonna happen.

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Research on ebay and see how much the average price the part is being sold. I do not like to purchased used parts because there is no warranty in case something fails.

I would never try to get the best selling price because the parts have paid me back more than what I've paid for it. I can't guarantee that the computer will not fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.