Looking to buy a new monitor (1440p / IPS / 27" / 144 hz)

DoctorObviously

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
Hi! I'm looking to buy a new monitor. In an ideal world I'd like a resolution of 1440p / IPS / 25-27" with a refresh rate of 144hz. When I look for a monitor that has all of these features I realize that it's incredibly expensive so I'm torn on what features I will actually be utilizing for this new monitor, so I've decided to go over this by process of elimination.

I always play games offline (DOOM, Metal Gear Solid V and the like). I'm sitting about 70 centimeters from the screen and I would be buying a new computer with a GTX1070.

My current monitor is a BenQ FP222Wa. Is IPS THAT important? Is 144hz THAT important? Is 27" too large a space?

Solution
An Acer XG270HU or BenQ XL2730Z will fit the bill, but neither is an IPS panel.

The main draw with IPS is that colours are punchy and accurate, so they're particularly useful for photographers who need to ensure that the colour they see on the screen is the colour that'll be printed.

DoctorObviously

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013

That would indeed be the most logical solution, but the problem is that the nearest store that actually shows monitors running games is about 100 miles from where I live. There are tons of stores that have rows of monitors just sitting there, not plugged into a computer, but when I ask to have it be plugged into a gaming machine, it's always some herculean impossible feat.

DoctorObviously

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013

Monitors like the ROG Swift and the Acer Predator series go for 700-850 EUR and above, and that's simply too expensive. I'm willing to shell out a lot of money, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Especially considering I'm going to buy two monitors: one for gaming, and one for desktop purposes.

An Acer XG270HU or BenQ XL2730Z will fit the bill, but neither is an IPS panel.

The main draw with IPS is that colours are punchy and accurate, so they're particularly useful for photographers who need to ensure that the colour they see on the screen is the colour that'll be printed.

Solution

DoctorObviously

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013

I'm very much a single player gaming enthousiast, so the need for immersion is important. Having 3 frames more to "pwn noobz" is not why I play games. Just good value for my money, is what I'm looking for. I saw the ASUS MG279Q, so I'm wondering if that's more my cup of tea. Does 144hz become noticeable only when you reach 144 frames per second or do you see a difference when my PC puts out at... say 100 frames per second?

That seems to be a pretty good monitor, particularly if you have an AMD GPU. The only slight downside is the 4ms response time, which could result in ghosting. If that doesn't bother you then I'd say go for it.

I've not owned a 144hz monitor, but given the huge difference between 30 and 60 fps, I would imagine the increase from 60 to 90 and 90 to 120 fps would be just as noticeable.

One thing to bear in mind is that some games have an arbitrary frame rate lock and will never go above that limit.

DoctorObviously

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
I've done a lot more research on all elements I'm concerned by over the last two days and I think I'm going to drop the need for an IPS panel simply because there seem to be a lot of problems with them. I saw many horror stories of people having to return their IPS panel because of backlight bleeding, defects, ... and it seems to affect the most expensive monitors too, like the ROG Swift, for example. Furthermore, I also saw plenty of demonstration videos on YouTube that show that TN panels aren't that far away in terms of color accuracy at all, and are a bit cheaper.

So that leaves me with 1440p / 144hz / TN as required elements.

TheGlow

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

I've been struggling with the same question for weeks. I was thinking 24" 1080p@144Hz. Then thought all I get is framerate for fps, which currently just Overwatch.
Maybe go 1440p@60Hz 27" for something more tangible and other use.
In the end I opted for the Acer XG270HU yesterday. TN panel, but Ive always used TN so I think ill be fine with it.
Also currently on an amd 380 so gsync is wasted for now, but plan to get a gtx 1070.
Its about $570 on newegg now, $130 off.
I hope its good as this is the most I've spent on a single PC part ever, and I've been building my own since 20 years ago, an AMD 1Ghz/1.33Ghz.