Sticky Consolidation Hurts the Writer, and results in a Lost Desire to do More.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize to save front page space that sticky consolidation may be sometimes needed for stickies that are no longer either useful or just obsolete hardware wise and are basically kept for legacy purposes.

Active stickies that are still useful and viable information, IMO, should not be consolidated and tucked away, it is like slapping the writer in the face.

It surely does not entice us that have written them to want to do more of them!

A good sticky is a lot of work, research, testing, to make sure the sticky is 100% factual, some are hours to create, others weeks of testing and evaluation before anything is ever even written.

I would ask the consolidators to take this seriously into consideration as it does affect our desire to create more of them, just to see all the work shoved into a closet and hidden away.

This consolidating has definitely affected my desire to write any more of them.

But maybe that's exactly the purpose, if it is, just say so.

Ryan

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
You certainly have a point. There is a fine line between keeping things organized & orderly, and "shoving things into a closet", as you put it. We do try to keep active, relevant stickies up where we can, but sometimes we make mistakes. If you feel that we have made a mistake, you're more than welcome to reach out to me to make your case. We are in no way trying to deter you, or anybody else, from putting together informative posts—but at the same time, we can't have stickies taking up half of the first page of thread listings.

You can delete my account here, I tried doing it in the profile but it wouldn't go through, it said to contact an administrator, and you are one, so delete it! Ryan

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Pfft. This would be, what, the fifteenth or sixteenth time you've graced us with your departure? I've yet to grant your request, as you tend to make it in anger as a knee-jerk reaction to something you momentarily have an issue with. Let's calm tempers and review this objectively.

It's our job to keep the stickies in check, or they grow like weeds. Some categories are downright lousy with them, and it makes for an awful reading experience for the bulk majority of users. We're stewards of the community entire, not just the predilections of individual sticky authors, as much and greatly as we value them and their critical contributions. We try to maintain their presence where and when we can, but consolidation is imperative, or we'll have 20+ stickies in categories before long.

Chill pill, re-assess, and perhaps toss your input in on some of the main categories where sticky thread proliferation is a major problem. Feedback is welcome and encouraged, provided it's constructive. ;)

-JP

Ry come over to Toms Guide and help me out there ... pick an area and get stuck in and expand it.

Life is lonely in the wasteland ... they only let me post here once in a while then they lock me away again over there ... you gotta help me buddy ... its so bright out here in the light.

:)

I would have been gone a long time ago Joe if you had just let it happen?

I honestly don't know why you've kept me around, I know I am a serious pain in the rear sometimes!

I do suggest before any stickies are consolidated that they are reviewed and tested for their validity, plus, are the stickies being constantly amended, IMO, it was a travesty to have CompuTronix Intel Temperature Guide consolidated in the Overclocking Section.

He has worked on that sticky for years and kept it up to date with every new CPU that has come on the market IMO it is very important viable information that should not be consolidated, and I would ask that it be put back where it was.

Thank You for whatever you do. Ry

My old friend, we have had some head butting sessions in the past haven't we!

I do highly respect you Rey,Rey, no matter what you think, you have hung in there a long time, and you have my utmost respect! Ry

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
We aggressively audit sticky validity, veracity, and relevance. The sticky in question is also replicated in a few areas, so consolidation of one of the duplicates wasn't too rough of a decision to make. No need to run a whole Game of Thrones style subtlety and intrigue plot about these - we're just trying to keep the stickies manageable and the forum browse-able.

I keep you around for training purposes. Speaking of which, there's a new intern that needs to be hazed a little...

-JP

OK Joe, now that all the fun and jokes are done, I want you to close my account here at Toms Hardware, no more jokes or excuses, I'm not angry, I do not need a chill pill, I'm asking you to close and delete my account here at Toms Hardware Forum, I know any stickies I have created is the property of Toms Hardware, keep them delete them, I don't care what you do with them.

I wish all of you the best, all the moderators friends or foes, and administration especially you Joe, but I am done here, it is time for this chapter to be officially closed!

God Bless you all!

And Goodbye! Ry

I have links from other websites to stickies I have posted here, I need to see how they will be affected so I know whether the threads at the other websites need to be completed as stand alone threads, meaning posting pictures there instead of them linked back here?

So close it already Joe, so I can see what I need to do from the point of actual closure here at Toms.

All my sticky pictures are saved at Photobucket.com and linked here, I never posted any static pictures here, but I will need to do that at the other websites once this account is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.