Creating W-10 USB from Windows 7 key?

dennisdliu

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hello everyone. I wasn't able to find an answer. I am currently running a PC on Windows Vista, I am building a brand new PC, however, the case that I have doesn't have optical drive (NZXT 440 case), and I don't want to buy external drive, as I am looking to re-use a lot of my old parts as they are perfectly working without expenses for new parts. I am looking into ways to create a bootable windows 10 USB that i can install on the fresh build, however, there are issues that I can't find an answer to. Here's what I am planning: I want to buy a windows 7 DVD (with product key 60-70$ from legit sites/amazon etc) and upgrade it to windows 10 with no charge (to save money). However, in order to upgrade WIn7 > Win10, my understanding the Win7 has to be installed (which I can't do on new PC without optical drive). If I install a Win7 OEM on my old PC, to create the bootable Win10 USB to install on my new rig, I will loose the Win7 product key license, since it will be linked to an old PC (it can be activated only once on single motherboard, correct?). Is there a way for me to proceed with the plan, or is the only choice that I have is to build new PC and install a retail bought USB Windows 10 64 bit OS? Buying the WIn10 Home 64bit DVD and use the CD key on a home made USB bootable drive will only save me 10-15$ tops in this scenario. Thank you!@

Solution

As of the November 2015 release, v.1511 build 10586, you can use a valid Win 7 or 8 license key to activate a Win 10 install.
Documentation direct from Microsoft:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10
--------------------------
Activation in Windows 10
Note

Starting with the November update, Windows 10 (Version 1511) can be activated using some Windows 7, Windows 8, and...

dennisdliu

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Thank you for the answer. Seems like I have a choice of buying Win10y and activating it via USB installation on new PC. But as Petrossa mentioned, activation of Win10 installation using a Win7 key if it may work may save 40-50$. Is there a documented instance of someone being successful in this approach? Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan

As of the November 2015 release, v.1511 build 10586, you can use a valid Win 7 or 8 license key to activate a Win 10 install.
Documentation direct from Microsoft:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10
Activation in Windows 10
Note

Starting with the November update, Windows 10 (Version 1511) can be activated using some Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 product keys. For more info, see the section Activating Windows 10 (Version 1511 or higher) using a Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 product key in this topic.

Solution

dennisdliu

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Thank you so much! The MS wording can sometimes be ambiguous and after reviewing multiple websites it seems that a lot of authors from legit magazines/publications interpret the verbiage differently. I was later actually was able to find some videos of YouTube users who do fresh Windows 10 install using Windows 7/8/8.1 keys!

I am planning to buy a Windows 7 64 bit pro for a legitimate MS solution provide (DQ direct) for about 53$

I will use the Windows 7 PRO CD Key to install a fresh copy of windows 10 on my new build per the info I got from you guys. I will create a Windows 10 USB boot, and when it asks for CD KEY, the MS now made it possible to use a Windows 7 key for activation. Before I believe you were required to install 10 on top of existing Windows 7/8/8.1 install. The caveat of course is that you can only do this until the Windows 10 upgrade is valid (7/29/16 I believe), after this you cannot do this anymore.

I will complete my build in early July and if you guys want me to provide an update of how this worked.