Need to upgrade, what about those parts?

ChristFive

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
I found myself in a situation caused by my little mistake when buying this computer, my common mistake about not checking the specifications of what i buy.
My Dad's friend had a spare GTX680(which looks like GTX770 Phantom) with 4GB VRAM.
He gave me it but it did not fit, we ordered a whole new computer as i would need to upgrade many parts, it WAS ok. Now i started seeing some problems.

Some AAA games lag, and i have performance problems with how the programs/applications slowly startup, sometimes i just get mad at when firefox is stuck and just "Mozilla Firefox is not responding." pops up.
Also, i would need an soundcard (as i have both speakers and headphones).

Actual computer :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU : i3-4150 3.5GHz with 2 cores and 4 core threads.
RAM : 4GB DDR3 (1x4, one empty slot)
Motherboard : ASRock H81M-HDS (ATX Mini, i think)

I came up with those parts (based on compatibility and ratings) :
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RAM : https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-Unbuffered-240-Pin-CT51264BA160B/dp/B006YG89Q6?ie=UTF8&

Soundcard : https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Audigy-Performance-Headphone/dp/B00EO6X4XG?ie=UTF8&

CPU : i5-4690K Quad-Core 3.5GHz Unlocked (which CAN be overclocked to 4.7GHz)

Should i upgrade to what i found when i get the money or choose better parts?

Upgrading your RAM might help a little. Make sure your new RAM matches your old as closely as possible.
Programs starting slowly is probably the result of a slow hard drive. Upgrading to an SSD would help this a lot.
If firefox is crashing, better hardware will only help it to crash faster-something is probably wrong with the installation.
Your motherboard audio can almost certainly handle more than one output at a time. It is often possible to rout output through an input port. Your motherboard probably also has headers for a front audio jack.
The motherboard you currently have doesn't officially support overclocking and even it you can do it, you shouldn't push it-it's not designed for that sort of power draw.
Your current CPU is a pretty good match for the GTX 680. Upgrading the CPU won't result in a noticeably smoother/faster experience for most programs and games. If you are experiencing "lag," you should use recommended settings or lower.

If you want better advice on a CPU upgrade, make a new post indicating what games you play and at what settings. CPU performance varies a lot from game to game.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Your not going to overclock it to 4.7 with that motherboard. Well you might but don't try it. Your processor is fine for the memory upgrade if you have a 32 bit operating system their no reason to spend any money till you upgrade it. Mixing memory is a crap shoot anyhow some times it just don't play nice together.
For the video card make sure you have a big enough power supply to power it and adequate ventilation in the case to cool it.
A cheap sound card is probably not much better than the built in audio I would pass on that.

ChristFive

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

Thanks for your advice, also i don't understand why a better cpu would not help in games. The last time i played Assassins Creed Syndicate on recommended, it lagged pretty much. On lowest settings i had only a few rare fps drops.

ChristFive

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
@Zerk2012

I pretty sure i don't even know how to overclock, i just wrote that as an extra information.
I have an 64bit OS, W7 Home premium. So i should be able to get more memory. I even checked so that the memory is mostly the same, same "edition" (Crucial) and nearly exactly the same as the one i have.

A better CPU could help, but it won't help much in most games. Most games will be more limited by your GPU than your CPU. You are probably better off spending your money on other components.

ChristFive

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

I think i will spend money on more ram, today i checked my ram and cpu usage, cpu usage was about 20% with only a few applications up and ram usage was at 3,4 out of 4.