Long Range Wifi for Campervan Usage

bmouthboyo

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016
Hi Guys,

OK so I have a nice little VW T25 Campervan that I have been restoring and next year I will be hoping to complete the leisure battery system and get her on the road.

I was inspired by a guide to build a 12v PC here.

Now I may do this in the future but I also stumbled on this nice although expensive solution from Motorhome Wifi: iBoost d8

So my first question is could I easily build my own kit which has the Directional Antenna to a Micro Hub running of 12v for a lot less? Most of the antennas seem to be powered of USB where as thehttp:// iBoost d8 kit seems to have a separate 12v source, or is this just for the HUB and the antenna using the same USB only power?

The original self build guide seems to link to a antenna I cannot source here but is a 36dBI directional antenna.

So my final question is if I decide to build my own kit, will a Chinese imported antenna work OK like this? And does the dBI rating have a big impact? I found one that was 80dBI and many much lower but more expensive.

Cheers

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Any external (to the van), powered antenna is going to help wireless networking performance. Most campgrounds I have used have decent coverage throughout the facilities. That being the case, a directional antenna may be overkill (and unnecessarily complex). A powered, external omni-directional antenna would be my recommendation (within your budget, of course).

kanewolf

Titan
An Engenius ENS202 is a directional outdoor WIFI device that can use WIFI as input and either create a local WIFI signal or connect wired devices. It can be powered off 12VDC. The ENS202EXT is an omni-directional version of the same device.