Question about fast startup

Lekro44

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is a problem or I'm just having OCD.

So I shut my PC down to clean it. Plugged out everything and used canned compressed air.
After I was done I set back up everything the way it was and powered on the computer.

The POST was a bit longer than usual and when Windows loaded a text flashed for half a second something about updating your system. Then the OS loaded and I checked the event viewer for what was happening during the boot.
Under the system log I found a critical event saying the last shutdown was unexpected due to a crash or power loss.

I'm absolutely sure the last shutdown was successful and I think -since I have fast startup enabled- when the PC was "off" and I pulled the power cable, the system detected it as a power loss and not proper shutdown.

My question is that is this something bad? Even though my HDD were not spinning, nor my SSD was writing or reading since they were powered off, can this cause any corruption within the OS?

Should I force a full shutdown through cmd prompt when planning to cut the power?

Thanks in advance

Solution
If Microsoft are going to use hybred hibernate as the shutdown method they need to build a system where you can shut it down if you really want to.

I mean, you could turn fast start up off, I think that turns hybred hibernate off and actually turns pc off. But why should you have to if some times you do have a good reason to unplug PC without going through some special motion.

I wouldn't worry about it, there isn't a lot you can do. its the systems problem.

slower start up was just cause it had to load everything from storage and not have half of it in ram already.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If Microsoft are going to use hybred hibernate as the shutdown method they need to build a system where you can shut it down if you really want to.

I mean, you could turn fast start up off, I think that turns hybred hibernate off and actually turns pc off. But why should you have to if some times you do have a good reason to unplug PC without going through some special motion.

I wouldn't worry about it, there isn't a lot you can do. its the systems problem.

slower start up was just cause it had to load everything from storage and not have half of it in ram already.

Solution

Lekro44

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
Yes I was thinking the same. Even if the PC is not hooked up to a UPS and power goes off occasionally, that means a System crash in the event log..

Surely Microsoft was not thinking everyone is on UPS or using a laptop and I'm pretty sure also it isn't intended to do a shutdown from the command line in order to cut the power afterwards. I think many people power off completely with a power strip or plug the PC out during storms and if Microsoft does not take this in mind developing this feature that would be a major flaw.

Anyways, I was just asking/making a discussion about this since it is strange when looking at the critical event log.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I try not to look in there, i see all these errors and think, I should try to fix them but windows creates two errors that match it shutting down unexpectedly so I don't know if I need to worry about any of them. I will worry if I get BSOD as they serious but the event log? I prefer to just ignore it.