System fails to boot installation disk or windows BCD errors.

Jon_29

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Hi,

My computer crashed during a complete system/windows reset. I have been unable to boot an intallation ISO for both windows 8.1 and windows 10. When booted normally without installation media I am presented with this screen:
Options in the F8 menu are unresponsive/ only make the windows logo flick on the screen for a few milliseconds before returning to the previous screen. http://imgur.com/7JH3Wc5

I am able to get into the BIOS and have see no issues in the BIOS, at one point I ran Memory Diagnosics and two passes returned no errors.

When attempting to boot the windows 8.1 Installiation disk I am presented with this screen:
http://imgur.com/zzFfkU9

Thank you for any support and I will happily answer any questions you may have.

More info required for better analysis.
I will need to know your Bios version and MB. Is your BIOS EUFI?
What drives do you have? HDD or SSD
1. Check cabling to all drives and check correct config for SATA.
2. Check your boot configuration settings to see if your drives are all recognized and set to boot from DVD.
Your ntoskrnl.exe file may also be corrupt or missing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it could have been slightly worse, he could be missing \EFI\BOOT\BOOTx64.EFI but then drive would need a format. As it stands, just Windows is missing its boot sector

here are instructions on how to rebuiild it: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm but this relies on windows to work. .. it won't if ntoskrnl is corrupted. as then you really best starting a fresh install as windows can't work without it. New Technology Operating System Kernel.. its the nerve centre of windows, it interacts with drivers and without it pc is just a nice box.

Jon_29

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Hi,

My Motherboard Is an ROG Maximus VI Formula board, runnign a UEFI BIOS version 1402, So im going to update that now and see if it has any effect.

Drives: 128GB SSD (C: ), Then 2x 64GB SSD, 1x another 128GB SSD and a 3tb WD RED.
All drives are detected and set to AHCI mode with SATA 6G connections.

Jon_29

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Hi,

I was in the process of starting a fresh install when the computer crashed, therefore there is no data that I need to recover from the system as It is all backed up to my NAS. My main problem is that I cannot access Advanced Startup Options from bootable media as I am redirected to this screen http://imgur.com/zzFfkU9 after the "press any key" screen.

I have updated the BIOS and after attempting to boot from a Windows 8.1 x64 installation disk I am presented with an orange screen with white vertical lines: http://i.stack.imgur.com/KGNmd.jpg

Colif

Win 11 Master
So that screen telling you to boot from install media shows up on screen you get just after trying to boot from usb

That is a great catch 22.

And it makes me think its not booted off USB at all and still loading the hdd. I assume you have loaded win 10 from USB before as some Asus boards just fight against you to let you use USB for installing win 10.

That error is referring to hdd still, not anything the installer would be doing. If you could wipe drive I bet you wouldn't get that error on install

Jon_29

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Yeah that may well be the issue as at times I do feel like the system is still trying to use data that is half shredded by the windows equivilent of a self destruct sequence (Windows reset to clean install). I will try disconnect the old C: drive and see if that thas any effect and I can install on another disk.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the way UEFI boots is it looks for a particular file name in a hidden boot partition on (lets call it) C drive but it actually looks at all drives just to see if any of them have it since sata has no primary drive as such. The file it is falling over on may be a windows boot loader which isn't the file in the hidden partition but the one the file actions next (points at) so windows can't go anywhere without that file. ntoskrnl being corrupted just makes wiping it the best choice.

You need to use a win 7 installer and set boot method to legacy If you use win 8 or 10, they are UEFI capable os and well, you know what happens. So I would use a win 7 installer and wipe the drive by following the custom install route and wiping drive at the stage it lets you and then exit out of installer. win 7 64 bit knows what GPT it isn't compatable with it like 8 & 10 are. 32 bit has no idea what it is.

Try that, I just thought it up :)

Jon_29

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Hi Thank you for the idea, I will try that In a moment I am current just running through some hardware possiblities beacuse after attempting to boot with a single wiped drive the system is presenting me with an orage screen and veritcal white lines.

So im removing my GPU and attempting intergraded graphics, I have recently removed watercooling from the card (GTX 980) and have put the reference cooler back on the card, however the card was running in windows after I had made this change. I have also moved the ram into the outer slots due to a new low pofile cooler, I am going to try running a single 4gb stick and see what happens.

Jon_29

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
I have had some sucess, after removing one stick of ram and my GPU (now running on intergreated graphics not magic) and disconnecting 4 drives and leaving only one clean drive connected the system has booted the windows 8.1 install disk. Now im going to add hard ware 1 peice at a time until I return to the same error so that I can diagnose what the problem Is, I will report back asap.

Jon_29

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Okay So I have plugged all my drives back in and the ram and and am still able to boot the installation disk. So I am going to try reinstalling the GPU now and if that causes errors I will then conclude the the GPU is the problem. So at least I will have a functioning system, but will need to have a look at the gpu. Potentially Drivers are causing problems or it could be somthing more serious such as bad thermal pad placment or even a bricked GPU.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If windows is currently catctus then there wouldn't be any drivers running... so i would discount that.

its just odd win 8.1 creates the orange lines and win 10 doesn't. if it were the card you would think it wouldn't discriminate as much

Jon_29

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
So I plugged my GPU in and now I am able to get into the windows install screen but as you say i cant progress further because there aren't any drivers, How should I proceed?

Jon_29

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Sorry if im dancing around a circle of problems but I have just encountered the orange screen and white lines without the GPU. This occoured when I moved the CD Drive across to a USB 2.0 port. Is it possible that the CD Drive is causing these issues?

Jon_29

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Specs:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VI Formula
CPU: i74790k
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT (2x4GB)
PSU: Corsair corsair Hx1000I (1000w)
GPU: GTX 980 Reference design and cooler.
Storage: 1x WD Red 3TB, 2x 64GB SanDisk SSD's 1x 128GB SanDisk SSD and 1x128GB Samsung 840 SSD.
Heatsink (CPU): Noctua NH-L12
Case: Rackmount ATX.
Additional fans: 2x 120mm's front to back airflow configuartion.

Thank you for pointing me towards that thread, I will try using a windows 7 installer.

Its a difficult problem, The only other active component I haven't messed about with is the CPU, so I am going to reseat the cpu and see if that makes any effect.

Jon_29

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
I also jsut swapped the ram for a single 4gb stick of XMS3. I noticed that now when I turn the system on it hangs on the Press F2/DEL for bios screen until the USB CD Drive is removed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master

Jon_29

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
This is a copy of the screen except it has the flashing cmd cursor in the top left. http://i.stack.imgur.com/KGNmd.jpg
I personally think it must be the CD drive or bootlabe media causing issues, the rest of the system works as it should its only when I am trying to use bootable media do I encounter problems. Its almost like when your listening to music or watching a movie on a messed up CD, youll get part way though and then it just stops working.

Yeah its all good quality hardware so the chances are reduced but it is possible somthing has died, The hardware isn't out of the box new but it isnt second hand either.

Jon_29

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
I think its been called the OSOD (like Blue screen of death but orange) and BSOD's happen all over the pace for almost any imaginable reason. I have a feeling OSOD's are probably the equivilent of a BSOD when windows is not fully installed.