Need help getting an operating system on my 950 pro ssd

theaftersplurge

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
So what I have before me is the most confusing issue I have ever come across. Before I say anything I'll list my specs. * -i7 6700k * -asus z170 sabertooth * -kingston 8gb 2133 MHZ * -gigabyte gtx 970 * -corsair 750 watt psu * -Samsung 950 pro 512 gig The most confusing part about my whole situation is the fact that i was able to get a fully functioning operating system on my 950 pro at first, everything was working flawlessly, then seemingly out of nowhere I couldn't run any programs, I couldn't open the start menu. Every single program i tried to run at this point would give me an error saying something something.dll is missing. So i decided my final option was to just start fresh with a new OS. This is where I encountered my real problem, i've tried googling my issue and found several people with a similar issue but they were always on old hardware and were not installing windows 10 like I was, every time my error would be "windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware" I've tried it all, i've gone from booting with one stick of ram through all 4, i've tried messing with my bios settings to see if it was some sort of compatibility issue with my M.2 ssd by trying to isntall my OS one of my HDDs instead and that was to no avail. If i'm missing something let me know, I just need help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think removing all the other HDD would be an idea. M.2 is still fairly new and a lot of bios don't default to it as a boot device yet. windows might not look at it either if they attached.

these other hdd, any of them ever have win 10 on them? were they in PC when you installed originally?

does win 10 still work on 950 pro? you could have run a reset and seen if that fixed the problem instead of a full reinstall. if it still works, and you want to try reset, d/c other drives as it might touch them too.

theaftersplurge

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Unfortunately i've tried installing my OS on all three of my hard drives, I've tried installing with my ssd on an m.2 adapter and the m.2 port on my motherboard. Getting the SSD as my boot device isn't the problem, sometimes i'm able to get an OS on it, but i can't run any programs or even open the start menu

theaftersplurge

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

nope, same behavior on any drive... Hope it's just something i can RMA. but it doesn't make sense because i had a flawless first install.

theaftersplurge

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
updating the bios was my first idea, to no avail... No diffeerent behavior or any changes

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried using a different installer? are you using a USB 3 usb stick? if so, try another older version.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/83321-windows-setup-could-not-configure-windows-on-this-computer%E2%80%99s-hardware/ thats win 7 but this sin't a common error and the differences below surface between 10 & 7 aren't that big.

theaftersplurge

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
I tried windows 8.1 and got the same error. And I was working on writing an os to a DVD but I need a blank one so ill get it tomorrow.