PC won’t boot (no beeps or display); BUT fans, drives, etc all running

TinkerKell

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
Problem:
PC powers up, fans run, drives run (cd & HDD), CPU gets hot (so working?). But, there is no display, there is no single beep, BIOS does not load, windows does not load.

History:
My MIL was having issues with her PC, I said I’d take a look at it, my guess was virus (they are NOT very tech savy & super click happy). Anyway, I get the PC and this is where the troubles start. Windows XP (ew) loads up, BUT within seconds/minutes of logging in I get a random BSOD. Sometimes driver related other times not. Now, the only thing hooked up to this PC is the monitor, and my usb keyboard and mouse. Soooo, I’m thinking okaaaay, the keyboard/mouse is causing a USB driver error or something? Startup in safe mode…still having issues. I literally can’t get anything done because the BSODs are constantly popping up in the middle of everything, even after it’s been running smoothly for half or more of the virus scan. I give up and remove the SATA drive and put it in my other computer (which runs perfectly). Now, Windows XP boots, but my mouse and keyboard are disabled? They worked perfectly fine in the BIOS settings, I even checked to make sure UNDER the BIOS settings anything USB was enabled (there wasn’t even really an option). So fine….I then boot from MY HDD, Win 7 loads fine, keyboard and mouse work fine……hmmm? Not BIOS related I’m assuming. So okay, I scan the other HDD, no viruses just junk adware. I get the files off the HDD like she wanted. Format HDD and upgrade her to Win 7, like she wanted. Now, I boot the other HDD (MIL’s) up and it works like a charm. Awesome I think!! Then…..I put it BACK in her tower, hook everything up (just the SATA cables) and boot it up. Nothing…..fans turn on, drives spin, but no display (still) and the keyboard and mouse are dead.

What I’ve tried:
1. Removed BIOS battery – no change
2. CMOS reset w/ jumper “trick” – no change
3. Removed RAM and booted – get the “no memory” beeps, put RAM back in one stick at a time, booted each time, no change; tried different slots, no change
4. Removed CPU fan, booted up and CPU gets hot so that can’t be the issue
5. Graphics card is integrated into the mobo so there is no pci/pci express card to remove, the computer is BARE….I even unplugged ALL the USB devices to boot and nothing
6. Unplugged/replugged PSU (maybe it was loose) – no change

I’m at a loss, at this point I’m thinking it’s the MOBO or PSU? Maybe the PSU isn’t pumping enough juice out? Or the MOBO was slowly dying and my repeated on/offs when it BSOD finally killed it?

*I should note, I followed the no boot/no display check list.

Also, it is a FoxConn MOBO, if that helps....

Donihammer

Reputable
May 26, 2014
This is the exact problem i have,for me too its either PSU or the MOBO that is not working,i dont know what makes me think its the MOBO but i hope not

xp fan

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
WinXP doesn't have sata drivers. Change the bios settings to IDE from AHCI and all should be well