From Microsoft to the Gaming Industry

Guildwars2fan

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi everyone. I'm working for Microsoft in the marketing department, directly with the regional CMO (Chief Marketing Officer).

It has been a pretty great experience so far but would love to join a more consumer/entertainment focused vertical, such as the video games industry!

What I wanted to discuss was, how do you think game developement companies would react to someone from Marketing in Microsoft? Where I live there are very few video games companies, nothing "famous".

Have any of you heard where the marketing staff from very succesful video game companies come from? (Blizzard/Valve/EA etc.)

Also, along with Microsoft and some other internships in asvertising and PR firms, I am developing an app (along with my own company) and my BA has 2 minors in Business Admin!

I would be applying for marketing positions/producer/project manager for mayor VG companies.

I don't love the IT industry but hey, it is Microsoft after all. And it is in the tech industry along with VGs.

I am just wondering where the marketing staff of Blizzard/Riot/Naughty Dog etc etc come from, when it is not from the video games industry itself.

Thanks so much!

WhatAreYouLookingAt

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016

Can you give me an Xbox One for a $1.20?