How much is my rig worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PurpleAlien5

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
CPU - Intel i5 4690K @ 4.5GHz

GPU - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G (1539MHz core clock; 3954MHz memory clock)

RAM - 8GB (2x4GB) Kingston HyperX FURY

Motherboard - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Cooling - Corsair H105

Storage - 120GB Samsung EVO SSD; 1TB Western Digital HDD

Fans - x2 Corsair SP120; x3 Corsair AF140

Case - Fractal Design Define R5

PSU - EVGA NEX650G 80+ Gold

I paid a little over $1200 to build this rig last year and looking to get at least $850 for it. Does this sound reasonable? Everything is in perfect working condition and I've even got some pretty moderate overclocks set.

Solution
D
I'd say $500-$550 tops. Parting it out might get a little bit more. Check ebay for your exact parts to get a better idea.
D

Deleted member 217926

I'd say $500-$550 tops. Parting it out might get a little bit more. Check ebay for your exact parts to get a better idea.

Solution

Blackink

Distinguished

Either you mis-typed the specs on your CPU, which should be 3.5GHz, or you've done more than "moderately" overclock your processor. If the latter is true, you'd be lucky to get $500 for it.....

iCompute-doU

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015

Unpopular opinion: The first two posters are a little liberal with their discounts. I've got virtually an identical system, save a 240gb SSD and the Gaming 7 Mobo. I'm also in Canada, and last year I spent around $1500 putting mine together. If I were to sell it today, I could get $800-1000 easy, if I found the right buyer.

To back up my claim: I build, refurbish, and resell computers all using the second-hand market. It's not all about what you paid for your components and what they've "depreciated" to a year later, but it's what other people value the computer at. Look at what it could cost to build a brand-new i5 rig, and it'll be that $1300-1600, and if you can yours into the hands of someone for less than $1000, they would be ecstatic.

Again disclaimer; I'm from Canada so the dollar figures aren't exactly accurate, but the proportions are pretty similar.

Selling used, you can generally expect to get 60% of their current "NEW" value. So if all the parts currently sell for $1000, you can expect to get about $600 used for it. I sell alot of stuff on ebay, this rule of thumb is pretty accurate. Sure you can get 70-80% of new value, but it takes forever to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.