Win 10 disk usage frequently at 100% with low actual data throughput.

Ikana

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
I frequently have my disk usage at 100% despite my read/write speeds only being a few hundred KB. I've done all the usually suggested fixes - Turned off the Superfetch and Windows Search services (and set them to not start automatically), turned off notifications for apps, I've run Chkdsk, I've even run the SFC, I've turned off scheduled defragging.

I haven't really seen any other suggestions on how to fix this so my google-fu has reached its limit. I can't be sure that i'm not just imagining it, but it almost seems like any time I open Task manager the disk usage is only 20-30% and then it steadily climbs in 10% increments until it reaches 100% (usually with maybe 10 processes at the most at 0.1 MB/s). It always spikes at startup to 100%, and it seems to spike when I open any program , but I'm not so sure on that.

My Windows 10 installation is unactivated (due to a hardware change that violated the contract or whatever you call it) if that matters, on a 1TB HDD.

Solution
If this is an upgrade instead of a fresh install of win 10, one fix is a fresh install. Most of the random unknown 100% disc usage, or CPU usage or Ram usage cases applied to win 10 are caused by an upgrade. Not all, but most.

The windows upgrade process doesn't always work as planned.

you should fix licence key as win 10 unactivated starts to get really annoying after a while and stops working

Colif

Win 11 Master
If this is an upgrade instead of a fresh install of win 10, one fix is a fresh install. Most of the random unknown 100% disc usage, or CPU usage or Ram usage cases applied to win 10 are caused by an upgrade. Not all, but most.

The windows upgrade process doesn't always work as planned.

you should fix licence key as win 10 unactivated starts to get really annoying after a while and stops working

Solution
Hey there, Ikana!

You should probably get in touch with MS Support and resolve your Windows Installation issue. Before proceeding with the storage troubleshooting, make sure you backup all your files from the drive somewhere off-site.

Since you already tried disabling those Windows Services, I'd recommend you check your anti-malware/virus software and make sure you disable them. Afterwards, check the HDD usage again. It's also possible that a certain software is causing the spikes, so you should probably track this as well and reinstall the program(s), if needed.

I'd also recommend you check your SATA connections inside the PC case and make sure everything is mounted properly. You might as well swap that SATA cable with a different one and check how the disk usage will be afterwards. It's also highly recommended to use your HDD manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic tool to check up on the health and SMART status.

Hope this helps. :) Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD