[FEEDBACK] Upgrading Austin Evan's Photon Build

DoctorP_Lankton

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
I initially built Austin Evan's Photon build part for part (really wanted to get an entry level PC to start PC gaming, hitting Ultra settings on BS: Infinite convinced me, plus originally intended to play TF2 for the most part) but now I'm looking to upgrade as I feel like I've outgrown it and it doesn't meet the benchmarks I'm looking for.

His build link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MOAN005Fvw

I did some research and came up with this setup: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mjpHxY

Mainly looking for some feedback on some part selections.

Generally using it to game across Steam, Origin, and GOG as well as basic internet browsing, nothing more. Based on the parts outlined in the pcpartpicker link above; I'll only be changing the motherboard, CPU, video card, and CPU as well as purchasing a CPU cooler (from what I've heard the stock Intel coolers are terrible). Never really used a non-stock one, so is the one in the build okay?

I'm intending to use this build for gaming and would like to play games like EA Battlefront, Doom 2016, and the upcoming Battlefield 1 on High / Ultra settings at 1080p60fps as well as older games like Battlefront II and GOG games (AMD's Crimson driver update broke that game). I would also like to "futureproof" this build so I can play any upcoming triple A 2017 - 2018 game at High / Ultra settings 1080p60fps. Would this build also be futureproof in I could go over to 1440p if I decide to change my monitor?

Since I'm only upgrading certain parts / pieces, $500 - $600? Would definitely want to switch over to Intel.

I would prefer not having to change my case.

vlxedits

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $596.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-10 22:42 EDT-0400

The 970 can handle any game right now at pretty much max settings. Probably will stay that way for another year or so
Stock intel cpu coolers aren't the best, but theres no real need to sacrifice some of the budget for a cooler right away, it can wait. Oh yeah just a heads up you might want to look into your OS situation since swapping motherboards usually requires a new windows license, unless you have the retail version

DoctorP_Lankton

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Yeah, you reminded me almost forgot, haha.

I have a physical copy of Windows 8.1, I wasn't sure if I would have to buy another copy of Windows.

vlxedits

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

In that case then im pretty sure you just have to go through microsoft's automated phone activation process once you set up the pc