How do I connect to two monitors with VGA and DVI respectively from one slot?

xpyro1fire

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2013
I have the first original release of AMD 7990. It only have one DVI slot. Could I make it work with two monitors with VGA(TV) and DVI(144Hz Monitor)?

What kind of item(s) do I need to buy?

Solution
Yeah, that is what I thought. Those small ports are display ports. You would use a DVi-I to VGA adapter on the DVI port and then use a display port to DVI adapter on one of the other ports. The reason you do that is DVI-I has the four analog pins to tie to VGA which is analog. The display port and DVI are both digital interfaces. That is the OPTIMUM implementation.

xpyro1fire

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2013

What? You lost me at display port. My card don't have display port. It only have one DVI-I port. My monitor have only DVI slot and my tv have VGA.

xpyro1fire

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2013

omg, i am sorry. I am dumb. I never knew what display ports look like or what they can do.

31xBUDa
http://imgur.com/31xBUDa This picture is what I currently have.

My monitor is also ASUS VG248QE 144hz rate. My other tv is just regular tv with VGA.

kanewolf

Titan
Yeah, that is what I thought. Those small ports are display ports. You would use a DVi-I to VGA adapter on the DVI port and then use a display port to DVI adapter on one of the other ports. The reason you do that is DVI-I has the four analog pins to tie to VGA which is analog. The display port and DVI are both digital interfaces. That is the OPTIMUM implementation.

Solution

xpyro1fire

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2013

DVI-I to VGA adapter from 7990 to TV then display port to DVI adapter from 7990 to monitor?

Thank you so much! I will pick your answer as solution but if you have time, can you please explain about what you mean by digital interfaces or optimum implementation. I don't understand. Regardless, thank you for your time and solution!

Also, can you please show me what these adapters you said look like?

Sorry, I kept editing because I need to ask more questions. Haha.

One last question.

My monitor have displayport slot, why can't I connect it with displayport cable to my 7990 instead of displayport to dvi adapter?
Again... -.- One more last question! Lol! 7990 have 4 mini-display ports. Are you sure about display port to dvi adapter?

xpyro1fire

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2013

So.... mini displayport from 7990 to monitor's displayport and DVI From 7990 to VGA TV?