Desktop background settings changing upon startup

spider1174

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
I have seen several threads regarding display personalization settings changing at every startup, but none seem to be quite what I'm experiencing, so I'm hoping for help to hone in on my issue.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and am using a duel-monitor set-up. I have a panoramic slideshow folder of pics to span across both monitors. What is happening every time I restart my computer is that my background display settings are automatically reset from Slideshow to Picture and a display fit of Span to Fit; additionally, the picture (well, half the picture) is rendered duplicated on each monitor instead of the original full panoramic.

And I can actually watch this override glitch occurring: when I restart, I go immediately to Personalization settings, wait for the display to reset a new picture for the day from my slideshow, then I can actually watch - without clicking or touching anything - the settings switch from Slideshow to Picture, and Span to Fit.

I have also double checked my Power Option plan settings to ensure the Desktop background settings > Slideshow is set to "Available."

Ideas for me?? Does it have anything to do with my duel monitor settings? Everything else associated with my monitors' functionality is working fine...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I might be way off here but have a look to see if you have theme sync set up. Check Settings/accounts/sync your settings

it could be it has some memory of you having another set up and it swaps to it at load. This only works if you are using a Microsoft account, if (like me) you have a local account it can't sync - I don't mind at all as with it on it sets my desktop theme as 1080p and I have a 4k screen...

spider1174

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016

Thanks for the suggestion, Colif - I checked my sync settings and that function is not turned on, so that doesn't seem to be the root cause. This is a brand new workstation and not synced to any personal laptops or devices.